SkyHD Dodgy T & C's ??

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Fusewire, Mar 26, 2006.

1. Fusewire

Fusewire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +104
    Read the T&C's for SkyHD, it says you have to pay £30 deposit, then they will ring you in April to arrange instalation - All OK so far....

But

Then its says you will be refunded the £30 and then charged the £299 upon instalation, why would they want to do this ? Why not just take the extra £270 once it is installed.

I smell a rat here, do you think sky are trying to use some kind of legal loophole to cover them if anything goes wrong ? it seems to me that all anyone has actually bought / reserved up to now is a promise of a phone call in April. :confused:

2. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,369
    exactly that's all you've bought yourself, a place in the queue and a chance of getting one, not a guarantee

3. Fusewire

Fusewire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +104
    Also some consumer protection law only kicks in after cetain amount.. eg consumer credit act only covers purchases over £100, so those using credit cards thinking they were covered by their card companies if anything goes wrong may be in for a nasty suprise if something goes wrong and they want their money back. :rolleyes:

It looks a bit devious to me, as said earlier all anyone has bought up to now is a place in a queue, the website clearly implies this is the deposit for a skyhd box, but this is clearly not the case otherwise they would not have to refund the £30 and then take it back again - if it were a deposit they would only have to take the remaining payment. ;)

4. choddo2006

choddo2006

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +542
    Jesus Christ

5. Fusewire

Fusewire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +104
    What's he got to do with it.... :confused: :confused: :confused:

6. choddo2006

choddo2006

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +542
    It's an expression of disbelief, not an incantation

7. andrewrunagall

andrewrunagall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    So in actually fact, Sky's just holding MY £30 and THEY decide if I get HD or not?!?

It's times like these when I wish Telewest or NTL would be available in my area, or at least Freeview.

8. choddo2006

choddo2006

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +542
    No, in actual fact, gwaite2 is spouting a load of speculative nonsense.

9. 2 Point

2 Point

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nothing devious.

Sky are currently billing over 2 systems, new customers since late 2005 and everyone else. To hold the prices for a £299 product and a part paid for £269 is a pain in the ass, easier to migrate all the data over then make a clean payment for the single price of £299 which will be the price going forwards.

Why they are taking a deposit is beyond me, a simple pre reg should be enough, just making more work for themselves.

This site makes me laugh, the rumour, counter rumour and constant whining and moaning makes my day to day job at Sky a walk in the park. Working on some of the systems there is more than difficult, too many variables and factors due to the pace of the business.

10. Fusewire

Fusewire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +104

11. choddo2006

choddo2006

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +542
    Stops people spamming the system & wasting resources & time.

12. choddo2006

choddo2006

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +542
    That's not speculating then? There could be any number of operational reasons for them refunding & charging a single £300, including the one mentioned above. You're just trying to drum up a conspiracy theory. Hence "speculative nonsense" imho.

13. Fusewire

Fusewire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +104
    Don't mind them taking the deposit, what bothers me is that by refunding it later they are changing the point (and an opourtunity for the terms) of sale of the product.

Just be careful thats all I'm saying, this is hardly transparent business practice - usually you pay your deposit and the balance upon delivery whatever product your buying. ;)

14. 2 Point

2 Point

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Usually. But usually you are not dealing with a massive customer base transition with fixed rules sitting behind it. Most deposits are in physical shops where by the nature of the transaction it is manual based not automated.

15. Fusewire

Fusewire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +104
    Wasn't meant to be.....

I don't buy the refunding you because it's easier either, that makes three transactions instead of two. :suicide:

If you want ease they could just debit your account for £30 when you order and the rest upon instalation in a similar way in which they debit your account with SBO charges and the like..... but then if they did that they would have a fair few obligations under consumer protection law. ;)

16. 2 Point

2 Point

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Perhaps they could, but they can't. They systems are not written or designe that way. You may no 'buy it' that it si easier, but as someone who works with the systems at the sharp end (ie developing the systems) then you will just have to be happy being wrong.

Your speculation of consumer law is way off the mark, please feel free to embarras yourself further though :)

17. Fusewire

Fusewire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +104
    Er let me recap then - the £30 that many paid on Friday will be refunded and £300 charged upon instalation, that means the legal point of sale of the box will be the instaltion date as all previous monies will have been refunded. So I am right, in the eyes of the law nobody has purcahsed a skyHD box yet have they ? all they have actually purchased is an agreement from Sky to phone them three times in April to arange an instalation. ;)

I am not embarrasing myself - just puting a question up for debate, embarrasing myself would be blaming something on a systems issue and then admiting that I developed the system. :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

18. steve36

steve36

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    2 Point, the reason for the financial 'comittment' is to avoid buying in 10,000 boxes and finding that all the prereg customers decide that £299 is too much.
    If they'd taken £299 last Friday on the basis of ordering some of the boxes from the manufacturer to install mid-May everyone would have been up in arms (well even more so!).

As some people have spotted it also covers them quite nicely, the £30 is not a contract for the delivery/installation of the box, it states 'It does not indicate that your order has been accepted. It is the responsibility of British Sky Broadcasting LTD to confirm that your order has been accepted'.
    So if suddenly they did get an order for 10x the stock/supplier capacity they can legally offer you a much later date......:devil:

Steve.

19. linnite

linnite

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    Weird argument here IMHO. It's perfectly clear that I, having paid my 'deposit', have not entered into a contract with BSkyB to buy the box and take up a service. Sky will want a written agreement signed by me at some point. Plus the terms for refund of the deposit AT ANY TIME are clear on the reservation site anyhow. And equally BSkyB have not entered into a contract with me to supply the damn thing.

As someone has suggested, the £30 is to ensure good faith and genuine interest on the part of the prospective buyer.

Sure Sky could pull the plug on or delay/restrict the launch at any time. But why would they unless they had no choice? Don't they like money or something?

20. Fusewire

Fusewire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +104
    My point exactly.... they could have arranged payment much easier but then they would have had a legal commitment to sell you a box and install it within a reasonable period of time. :) It's worked out quite well for sky that one hasn't it :rolleyes: , I hope there is nothing in it at the end of the day but Sky seem a little skitish to me to have had to gone to all that trouble - hope there's nothing wrong with the HD box / supply chain. :rolleyes:

21. Spinning Plates

Spinning Plates

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    When signing up for this do you have to commit to the 10 quid a month additional sub charge for 12 months?

I ask because I may try for a box just for the WC and after that has finished sell it on Ebay.

22. Fusewire

Fusewire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +104
    They seem to have gone to a lot of trouble to make sure that they have very little commitment to you thats all I'm saying. :)

23. sanderton

sanderton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Watch out gwaite2, they're all out to get you....

24. Fusewire

Fusewire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +104
    :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

I'm sure I have probobaly incurred the wrath of the HD fanboys, I am just a bit concerned about when HD will be delivered - the way the current T & C's have been structured, it looks like sky feel a bit apprehensive too. :devil:

I will be getting HD btw, I just want to see it working in peoples homes first. :smashin:

I will be sleeping with one eye open tonight just in case the HD vigilate's / assasins come for me. :eek:

25. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    It's a point I've been trying to make for the last 2 days. Not only have Sky not entered into any form of contract with those who have paid their £30 in advance, which gives them a get-out, they are also able to cherry-pick the most profitable customers should there be not enough boxes to go around.

26. Fusewire

Fusewire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +104
    Good point, I hadn't thought of that.

27. Sharpy14

Sharpy14

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Santa Claus, right, what's all that about................says he will come on the 25th December, but no-one actaully has a written contract to say he will and we all invest heavily in the run up to it and I think he is just reserving the right to not come at all in case demand falls due to competing religions marketing their product better...................I'm not saying this is true, but just planting the seed....................don't say I didn't warn you.:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Coming soon to a forum near you, the sequel to Sky HD..............HD DVD v Blu Ray...............book your bandwidth now to avoid disappointment

28. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    aye, their reasons for this are a good idea from their point of view, for the consumer it doesnt make much difference.......

from their view doing it like this is a good thing because:

They havnt promised you a box, they've promised you a phone call to see if you are still interested, most likely anyone who hands over £30 now will be interested, this tells them roughly how many extra boxes to order, also how much bandwidth is likely to be needed, those that dont order straight away will probably wait till autumn/winter......so they dont over order boxes or bandwidth, both of which will be cheaper for Sky as time goes by...

they also take possible telewest customers away, if you give £30 to sky you are pretty much likely to go with sky...

they also get £30 in their accounts to earn interest on despite having given nothing to you for it....and if you decide not to go with sky when they call you, they keep the £30 (i assume thats in the t&c), nice littler earner that.......after all, it's a deposit, you leave one for a hotel room then dont turn up you dont ask for it back do you? cuz they wont give it and quite rightfully, you agreed to it, its your fault.

oh and it stops people moaning and speculating on stuff...

for you the consumer, it works like this:

if sky do have a limited supply on boxes, your more likely to get one if you reserved early (altho tbh i wouldnt be surprised if large package customers get preference out of those who do reserve).

i think thats about the only point for a consumer actually...heh

29. Fusewire

Fusewire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +104
    Reading some of the other threads, that one didn't seem to work. :D

30. Reaperman

Reaperman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I dont necessarily see this other than SKY looking for a "firm" commitment and at the same time injecting a large amount of cash into the business before April 5th...the deadline for pre ordering....

So...lets say 100,000 ppl pre order.....thats £3,000,000 in the SKY bank....
    now has it occured to anyone that 5th April could be the last day of their financial year.....;)
    So...if say they only have 40,000 units available for install in May that would bring in a further 40000 x 269...£10.76mil with a further 60000 pre orders waiting in the wings...£16.14 mil........

The trick will be for SKY to convince the other 60,000 pre order ppl to stick with them whilst the second wave of HD boxes land.....

This will be all about cash flow....!