Answered SkyHD connected to Xbox, poor picture quality?

PAUL7331

Prominent Member
Reaction score
When will this be fixed?
I plugged sky in to Xbox one last night and the picture is terrible. Also frame rate issues, not good. Is there a fix for this?
The only reason I want to connect sky to Xbox and watch TVs through there is because I have a pair of wireless turtle beach headphones so need to really watch tv through Xbox.

Any ideas? If there's no fix then surely nobody else bothers connecting sky through Xbox?

Do you have the settings for TV on the console set to 50Hz?

So putting 50hz on both the TV and xbox cures this issue then?

I'm not sure about settings on the TV and I don't have Sky HD but it helped reduce the judder on my Freesat box.

If the issue you are having is to do with judder it will help when in fullscreen (when TV is snapped it is at 60Hz as games need to run at 60Hz so the judder is reintroduced).

Games will still run at 60Hz so it shouldn't affect anything other than TV broadcasts. There should be an option on the Xbox One to allow 50Hz - Adjust display settings | Xbox One settings

Anybody using sky through an Xbox who can confirm a fix?

I have my sky feed through a splitter with 2 outputs, one direct to TV and one to Xbox, so can use it for TV if I wish or just watch TV with xbox off as normal. If I watch through console I have a frame rate issue. On most things it's fine to watch, as like you I watch stuff with my wireless headphones at night, but it's really noticeable on sky sports news with the yellow news feed. On normal tv it's smooth, but through console it clearly shows frame rate issue.

Ironically I was only last night looking into settings to see if anything I could adjust but nothing seemed relevant. Mine is set to allow TV at 50z anyway, so guess that is default.

Sky HD picture quality is indistinguishable whether you put it through the Xbox or not now in my experience. All quality and framerate issues have been fixed since XB1 launch in 2013. I was watching for years, it works fine. You just need to spend 5 minutes in the settings making sure you have the right settings selected for your setup. 50Hz in the Oneguide settings is the main one (not to be confused with the other 50Hz setting in the video output menu).

I have my sky feed through a splitter with 2 outputs, one direct to TV and one to Xbox, so can use it for TV if I wish or just watch TV with xbox off as normal. If I watch through console I have a frame rate issue. On most things it's fine to watch, as like you I watch stuff with my wireless headphones at night, but it's really noticeable on sky sports news with the yellow news feed. On normal tv it's smooth, but through console it clearly shows frame rate issue.

Ironically I was only last night looking into settings to see if anything I could adjust but nothing seemed relevant. Mine is set to allow TV at 50z anyway, so guess that is default.

That's not a bad idea to be honest!

Sky HD picture quality is indistinguishable whether you put it through the Xbox or not now in my experience. All quality and framerate issues have been fixed since XB1 launch in 2013. I was watching for years, it works fine. You just need to spend 5 minutes in the settings making sure you have the right settings selected for your setup. 50Hz in the Oneguide settings is the main one (not to be confused with the other 50Hz setting in the video output menu).

Cheers for his mate. Hadn't noticed separate oneguide settings . Just changed to 50hz and the telltale sky sports news yellow bar is showing smooth as it should be. So seems to have solved the issue. :thumbsup:

Mine is a lot better too now after changing the one guide to 50hz. Thanks op

I was thinking about putting the Sky Box through the Xbox, do you just use the controller or is there a remote to use?

I was thinking about putting the Sky Box through the Xbox, do you just use the controller or is there a remote to use?

Yeah, it's called a sky remote....;)

Just use that as normal but play through Xbox. The controller can be used for stuff but far less practical so no point IMO.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom