SkyHD & Audio Sync

Status
Not open for further replies.

TBird1

Established Member
Reaction score
As is the case for many people my set up occasionaly suffers from lip-sync issues when watching Sky. This is because my audio is fed via my AV amp while the video is sent seperatly to my plasma (Pio 506xde). As I understand it (from reading many posts on the subject withn AV Forums) this is a common issue for many plasma owners.

AS far as I can see, the solution to this issue for the moment is to (a) purchase an amp that allows for audio delay or (b) purchase and audio delay box.

However - what do you think the chances are then that Sky's new HD box will likely have adjustments or a solution for sync problem? Especially considering the fact that nearly all SkyHD customers will be using LCD/Plasma/LCD/DLP Projector and many of these customers will have seperate audio amplification (and therefore I presume looking for improvemnt in audio syn) ??

Look forward to your comments,

TBird1

Probably about the same chance that your skyhd box will get installed by Kate Moss, with a complimentary BJ. Or that Sky will drop their DOGS, seeing as about 50% of the SkyHD subscribers will be viewing via a plasma.

shaithis said:
Probably about the same chance that your skyhd box will get installed by Kate Moss, with a complimentary BJ.

:D :smashin:

Steve

Don't know if this will make any difference to you, but I use optical out on the Sky box rather than the one on my plasma & don't seem to get any probs with sync. Guess it's all down to how fast the plasma / amp pocess the signal.

shaithis said:
Probably about the same chance that your skyhd box will get installed by Kate Moss, with a complimentary BJ. Or that Sky will drop their DOGS, seeing as about 50% of the SkyHD subscribers will be viewing via a plasma.

:rotfl:

is it because the audio is too fast or the video is too fast?

Part of the delay is deinterlacing. Prog scan sources have less delay for sure. However, the biggest part of this is sky themselves. How come if I use sky (very rare, I have freesat but don't usually bother) I see delay, but don't on freeview? Or very little anyway, and I have a plasma and a video scaler. Let's hope they tighten things up.

Sky HD Boxes DO HAVE an adjustable audio delay setting - specifically for when it is connected to a home cinema system!!

Sky channels seem to have a variable lip synch. I have set my audio delay for sky one but it is often out for other channels/programs.

Don't suppose the audio delay is configurable for each channel or am I more likely to be the recipient of said BJ:D

nick270881 said:
Sky HD Boxes DO HAVE an adjustable audio delay setting - specifically for when it is connected to a home cinema system!!

This is very interesting Nick - whats your source for this info ?

TBird1

Took the words out of my mouth, TBird. This skyHD box has got an awful lot of features, a scaler, an audio delay, it all costs money you know.

what worries me about all this...is that Thompson is making the boxes.

i have a Thompson pvr3, and the lip sinc is absolutely awful. luckily i have an audio delay on my amp, that's when the audio is not dropping out every 2 seconds.

As George Lucas alledgedly said "The sound is 50% of the experience" or something like that.

its just as important to me as the picture.

may wait and let some-one else be the ginea pig, before purchase.....but dont quote me on that!!!!:clap:

yippee 100 posts.....not long now hornydragon......

As George Lucas alledgedly said "The sound is 50% of the experience" or something like that.
I reckon I told you that, mate! It is a pretty accurate quote indeed. And it's definitely not 50% of the experience if it's 120ms out of sync.

On DLP (it may be the same for plasma) sets, the picture processing takes a fraction of a second, so it means that sound fed to an AV amp comes out ahead of the picture. The new SAGEM sets have digital and analog in and out to sdelay the sound to keep everything in sync. It means though that in an AV setup everything has to be switched through the TV rather than the AV amp.

When you see it the effect is subtle but noticeable. All other sets I've seen only delay the analog, stereo sound via in/out, 5.1 digital can't be delayed so would need the option built into the Sky box or amp.

Surprisingly there is very little information about this on manufacturers' sites; the odd reference in FAQs.

MAW, surely your scaler compensates for any lipsync issues?

No, no lip sync correction on Lumagens. They are quite 'fast' compared to say, a DVDO, which helps. I can honestly say I have no issues at all with lip sync in my setup.

nick270881 said:
I spent a day using one, finding out allsorts about it! No info on exact price or release date though!

the synch problems are much worse on the HD box than on my previous Sky+. I've been trying to use my scaler to correct the AVSynch problems, without much succcess. I didn't see this feature on the HD Box Nick - is it on the standard Audio setup menu?

cheers,

UV

Ultraviolet said:
the synch problems are much worse on the HD box than on my previous Sky+. I've been trying to use my scaler to correct the AVSynch problems, without much succcess. I didn't see this feature on the HD Box Nick - is it on the standard Audio setup menu?

cheers,

UV
ultraviolet choose services then system set up then sound settings you will find it there,optical output delay

We have just had Sky HD installed together with a Panasonic 42" plasma tv. The lip synch is driving me mad on the HD channels, particularly BBCHD. I really think should Sky should suspend the £10 monthly fee until they have fixed the problem. Does anyone know if they are anywhere nearer to doing that?

We have just had Sky HD installed together with a Panasonic 42" plasma tv. The lip synch is driving me mad on the HD channels, particularly BBCHD. I really think should Sky should suspend the £10 monthly fee until they have fixed the problem. Does anyone know if they are anywhere nearer to doing that?

Most of the discussion on this matter is taking place on this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom