• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

SkyGo Question (sorry if it's been asked before)

locktheworldout

Established Member
Hi
I've got SkyGo on my Android phone, and I've bought an MHL cable.

Is it possible to watch SkyGo on my TV, as I can't get it to display at home and a quick Google search suggests that SkyGo disables the HDMI out.

I'm going on holiday soon, and hoped to watch a couple of footy games on the big screen TV where I'm staying (rather than on my phone).

If it has somehow been disabled, is there a simple way around it?

Sorry if it's been asked before

simon194

Prominent Member
They also block the wireless equivalents such as Miracast and I presume Chromecast as well.

Stevenage Neil

Distinguished Member
Last edited:

Stevenage Neil

Distinguished Member
Can't really buy any new kit (especially for a holiday) ....

That statement intrigues me given that the mobile charges for watching a football match on a mobile, (especially outside of the UK), must be horrendous. The Slingbox output can be watched for free anywhere where there is free WiFi or an internet connection.

locktheworldout

Established Member
That statement intrigues me given that the mobile charges for watching a football match on a mobile, (especially outside of the UK), must be horrendous. The Slingbox output can be watched for free anywhere there is free WiFi.

I'd hoped to watch the SkyGo app on my Android device using the free WiFi available where I'll be staying. I can't really justify (or get agreement for) a Slingbox, that I'll probably have little use for after I'm back.

Thanks for the help though.

I'm out of my depth with VPN's etc without being handheld, so I may have to have a footy free holiday.

Stevenage Neil

Distinguished Member
I'd hoped to watch the SkyGo app on my Android device using the free WiFi available where I'll be staying. I can't really justify (or get agreement for) a Slingbox, that I'll probably have little use for after I'm back.

Of all the "gadgets" I have bought over the years the Slingbox is by far the best investment I have ever made. View and control your Sky box from anywhere in the world, and distribute Sky HD around your house - brilliant!

JayCee

Distinguished Member
Of all the "gadgets" I have bought over the years the Slingbox is by far the best investment I have ever made. View and control your Sky box from anywhere in the world, and distribute Sky HD around your house - brilliant!

Is the model in your link the same one you have?
How do you manage to feed it with SkyHD?, do you have a convertor or one of the early Thomson Sky+HD boxes with Component out?

Last edited:

scumball

Distinguished Member
It can't do Sky HD though - it only has composite or component in, and no Sky box has had that option for a long time....

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom