1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SkyGnome £70- beginning of the end of DAB

Discussion in 'Music Streamers' started by GeeDoubleU, Oct 2, 2005.

1. GeeDoubleU

GeeDoubleU
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  2. ad47uk

ad47uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6

I doubt it, DAb is fully portable and it can also be used if someone else is using the freeview box to watch T.V

I know DAb is not very good, but I still do not think the Gnome or any other device like it will bring Dab to its end.

3. GeeDoubleU

GeeDoubleU
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think you are right, the majority of people lead busy lives and don't sit on the sofa listening to their high quality hi fi's, they want radio on the move or as a background whilst doing DIY or something. People want convienience and I think DAB does that, however signal strength needs to improve.

When you list to people on this forum they moan about the hi fi quality, which I think is missing the point of radio really.

4. ad47uk

ad47uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    As for Hi-fi quality, it depends what you are listening to, how and when.

If you sitting down listening to classical music or any other music for that matter, then yes you do want high quality.

If the person is doing a bit of DIY or doing some house work, then no they do not really need high quality.

Hi-fi quality is important to some people, even with the radio, the sad fact is, DAb do not go any where near Hi-fi quality, but that is the same with all digital radio in this country.

5. ScootermanRoger

ScootermanRoger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They actually moan about the lack of HiFi quality, and rightly so! DAB is not HiFi but a decent FM system comes close enough to it to be a pleasure to hear, whether it's casual or more serious listening.
    DAB ought to go the same route as analogue $ky receivers. Be made redundant! Hence here the precedent has already been set to chop an outdated form of electronic delivery in favour of a better one.
    The world at large is turning its back on DAB, and it seems that only us gullible Brits (well, some of us) seem to rave about this outdated and inferior supposed successor to FM.
    One day, people might just see the error of their ways.

6. WorKid

WorKid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just been on the site - what the fudge is it? What does it do?
    It doesn't actually say what it is!!

7. WorKid

WorKid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK - google'd it. So it streams audio from Sky to it. YAWN. what the fudge is the point?

Why not just get a DAB radio?

Most pointless invention ever?

8. applevenus

applevenus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    perfect for me - I can't receive DAB and would like to listen to BBC 6Music at home.

9. ad47uk

ad47uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I think it could be good if you want to listen to radio stations that are bradcaster on Sky, but not on DAb in a different room to where the Sky box is. In theory you should also get better quality from the Gnome than with DAb, but since I do not know bitrate the Gnome streams at, I can not be sure.

The big problems is if you go out of range you will lose the signal. I also think the Gnome is very over priced for something that can onl;y be used with the Skybox. If you decide to get rid of Sky and your Skybox, then you have got a strange looking pieace of electronics, that can not be used.

The other problem is if someone else is using the Sky box to watch a T.V programme, then you are stumped.

I would say you are better off with DAB, but you have got less staitons with DAb and the sound quality is a bit naff.

10. GeeDoubleU

GeeDoubleU
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have also seen Wi-fi internet radio pod for a similar price, they have got to be a better idea.

Only problem is all things computers means problems, issues, reboot's, reapplying firmware and generally never working when you really need it.

11. applevenus

applevenus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what devices are you referring to ?

I have a couple of Roku Soundbridge however they're at the mercy of real-streams and windowsmedia-streams. Right now they can't playback either.

I'm still keen on the gnome - I see it as a great way to get decent quality BBC radio (the best in the world imho) anywhere in the home.

12. ad47uk

ad47uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    The main problem with the Gnome is that it is linked to your Sky box, if for some reason you decide to get rid of the Sky box the Gnome is useless.

It would be nice if there was a radio that can link to the internet via Wi-fi and allow you to get radio from the net that way. I did see one once, but it only ran on mains and I doubt the range would be good enough for the garden.

13. Tony H

Tony H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you really want music on the move, buy some wireless Senheisser (not sure if I spelt it right!) headphones.

You can plug them into any source and they work very well. I have some, but in house move so far can not find the 2 parts, have headphones but not the base unit signal sender, its somewhere and can not wait for it to turn up!

The sound by the way is excellent and you can easily move around the house and garden. This way you can plug into any radio, hi-fi or pc and walk about listening to your music. Only downside is that some people might not like wearing phones, and battery is only about 2 hours, but if you get spares should be albe to keep yourself going long enough. Mine cost about £70 a few years back.

Cheers!

Tony :)

14. Robbie34

Robbie34

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    You can buy a pair of wireless speakers from Maplins for £49.00 which give excellent quality output. I use them at my home in France so that I can listen to the radio in my bedroom. Connect the little transmitter to the audio output of a Sky box, or any other receiver for that matter. The down side is that you can't change channels or stations via a remote control.

15. KoThreads

KoThreads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +157
    The Gnome looks like a good idea and a while ago i posted i would buy one, but that was before i realised all the negative points.

No good if i ditch the sky box, no good if someone is using sky or recording, and the price. I was expecting £50 tops.

You can buy a good set of RF headphones for that, and listen to even more. Allright you lose the ability to turn over from a distance, but that's a small gripe in my opinion.

16. ad47uk

ad47uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    If I had music in the garden, then it would be if I was lying down getting some sun and I could either take the DaB radio or my minidisk player out.

17. nexus_6

nexus_6
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Think they (Sky) missed a trick by not adding an alarm clock feature. It's got a clock so why not the alarm to make it slightly more useful ?

Looks like another Sky rip-off, a little like HD's going to be next year. Don't they think we pay enough already ?

18. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    The only use I can think of for this is an expensive paperweight :thumbsdow

19. AdamIE

AdamIE
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No not the end, but you can't get Irish Radio on DAB, SKY has RTE radio stations even in Irish

20. Boy Lex

Boy Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Now if they'd only incorporated a dab chip in it too... then you'd be sold.

It does look a bit pointless - and launched at the wrong time of year!!! I can't imagine many people seeing the tv ads and thinking 'ooh... i'd live to go outside and listen to sky in the garden!'

Mind you, give something cute arms and legs and anyone will buy it - maybe it'll make a successful toy like the itv digital monkey!

21. ad47uk

ad47uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Maybe so, but if you to far away from the Sky box, then the signal will fade.
    I can under stand why some people will buy the Gnome, but I think it will appeal to very few.

22. srobbo999

srobbo999
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I bought one so my wife could listen to digital radio. The reception where we live is rubbish and I have 2 digiboxes so there shouldn't be a problem with any clashes. Personally I think they are a pretty good idea. Certainly in my circumstances.

;)

23. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    The Sky Gnome advert makes me laugh. There's a scene where someone is using it in the bathroom, and at the bottom of the screen is the warning "Sky Gnome is not waterproof" :rotfl:

24. URBANSOULBOY

URBANSOULBOY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh this baby is worth every penny for just one reason....The only Soul Music Radio Station in the world..prabarbly, Solar Radio Sky Channel 879 is now with me pretty much wherever i go (except of course the car). Fanbloodytastic :clap: Well done sky :thumbsup:

25. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    You could have acheived the same with one of these for £20 (post free) and any old FM radio :rolleyes:

26. Spinning Plates

Spinning Plates

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Are the arms and legs on this thing detachable?

27. morgs

morgs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I thought I'd found the answer to my prayers.

"Please God, grant me the ability to listen to 6music whilst I bake the daily bread in the kitchen whilst morgs junior watches cbeebies"

We cant' get DAB in my neck of the woods, and the skygnome would be perfect (and yes I would be willing to pay the silly money!)

But the fact that you can't use it when someone is watching sky renders this thing completely useless.

Nice one sky! :(

28. nickeddle

nickeddle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    But you can use it with a freeview box if the kiddies are watching their prog!!

29. KoThreads

KoThreads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +157
    Exactly, why is that part even in the add.

30. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Presumably you shouldn't use it in the garden either, because it might rain ? :D