Skybox Switching Off

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Gort, Apr 28, 2004.

1. Gort

Gort

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have Sky Digital and since the last software update my Grundig box switches itself off every couple of days. Seems to happen reguarly around 6PM, sometimes early in the morning. Happened last nite when I was watching Angel (20:30PM) and two weeks ago when I was again watching Angel (20:30PM).

Actually happened twice yesterday.

Sent Sky an email, waste of time, they just expect you to pay for an engineer to look at it or try and get you to get Sky Plus , and yet it is a software problem. It cannot be a hardware fault as I could probably set my watch by it.

DigitalSpy has loads of complaints about this.
    What does anyone else have to say

2. Gort

Gort

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Forgot this:

operating system: 1.2S4F1
    Software version: 3.2.11

3. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    Might be worth reloading the OS, certainly do know harm if their isn't a hardware issue.

4. Gort

Gort

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll try it - erm----forgot how to do it though

Any ideas?

Thanx

5. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    At your own risk:)

Hold the backup button down on the box while turn the power off at the wall socket.
    Wait 10 seconds and then turn the power back on WHILE STILL HOLDING DOWN THE BUTTON and then wait for a message on the screen or all 3 lights on the front of the box to light up, then release the button.
    The new software will take around 10 minutes to download and then the box will reset it self and stay in standby, wait another couple of minutes then turn it on with remote or the button on the box and you should be away.

6. Gort

Gort

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanx - i'll give it a try 2nite

7. ResB

ResB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Gort - Any luck. I'm having the same issue with the exact same box.

:)

8. GGTVBD

GGTVBD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +324
    Which model Grundig?

By the way, Starburst's advice on a full system reset is correct and it can often help with strange faults.

BUT BE WARNED!:devil: If you disturb the system whilst this update is in progress you can **** the box altogether!

9. southpaw

southpaw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I have a Panasonic box and have similar problems although not at exact times.

Box turns itself off then needs to be unplugged to switch back on.

Or when changing channels both manually and Auto sometimes switches off or only shows blue screen!

Any ideas??

10. GGTVBD

GGTVBD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +324
    Southpaw - you got problems, mate!

With a Panny dbox switching itself off is a sign of the micro overheating. There is a kit available - a heatsink on the micro and a cooling fan. You gotta do it NOW though. Leave it and it will fail completely.

11. jimcarney

jimcarney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    My Grundig switches itself off as well ,I am also getting a message on some channels there is a problem with my viewing card I dont get these problems on my other box which is $ky+:mad: :mad: anyone any ideas?
    Thanks in advance ..Jim

Grundig 2.55
    O/S 1.2SAF1
    S/W 3.2.11

12. southpaw

southpaw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi Arthur

Can you give me more details?

What to do? Where to buy? How much? etc etc.

Thanks

13. Fernsehman

Fernsehman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Allegedly, Pace and Grundig have a software bug that cause them to switch off. Sky are supposed to be releasing new software in a few weeks but, since they won't officially admit there's a problem, nobody can say exactly when it will be fixed.

As for the Panasonic, try running it on an open shelf with the lid off. If that helps but doesn't fix it, try directing a domestic fan at it. If that fixes it then the satcure fan kit might do the job, but don't expect miracles. As already stated, you might have left it too late.

14. GGTVBD

GGTVBD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +324
  15. southpaw

southpaw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks guys!

16. ResB

ResB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I would agree. When I spoke to sky they immediately wanted to know the software version. When I told them they just said, I need an engineer which will cost £60 and they could not guarantee that they would be able to repair it. :(

17. Gort

Gort

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I Fitted a heatsink and fan from an old 486 cpu. I had to cut the heatsink down to size and used epoxy resin to fix the HS to the cpu. I then glued the fan to the HS.

Tried it on the 5v rail first - guess wot - still crashing.
    Secondly tried it on the 12v rail - still crashing.

This is definetly not over-heating.

AND anyhow even without the fan when it has crashed and I've been there, I switch it back on straight away.

Surely if the cpu had overheated, switching back on straight away it would crash again immediately which means it is software.

The power supply is ok.

Back to what most people are saying, it only started after the new software was put onto my Grundig.

I might call $ky to cancel - might get cable if they want money from me. After all it's their fault. I'll give it till June.

I used to have cable - switched to satellite when digital first came out.

18. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    If you are considering cancelling then you have nothing to lose by being very firm when they ask you why and holding out in case they offer a free call out and replacement hardware.
    Worse case is they say thankyou and switch you off and you go back to cable as you are already thinking about, best case you get a digibox that works for the price of a call.

19. Gort

Gort

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    At the moment besides $sky digital I am getting 25 channels free on the old analogue cable - this includes $ky1.

I cancelled cable a good four years ago but apparently I am still getting an analogue signal and my new tv has a cable tuner built into it. Only thing I can't get are digital channels such Sci-Fi and Bravo.

The other nite I was watching Angel on $ky1 thru $ky digital and the box did it's usual thing and turned off half way thru - about 21:30. I just turned over to channel 6 and watched $ky1 thru cable.

If not for the SCI-FI, Discovery and Music channels I would just cancel $ky all together and watch it for free!.

that's why I'm still thinking on it - If I cancel $ky and get digital cable I wouldn't get my free channels anymore as I think they use the same cable as analogue.

While I was on here the box has turned off. Seems to happen more lately.

I am really ****ing sick of it.

I hate the look of the Grundig box - looks like a stupid smiling face. What **** designed that? I don't really want to see curves in hifi/video gear.

AND that green/red led light at the front?
    Isn't like the led u see on the front of a tv. It's a big round ugly led - looks **** poor.

Why can't the boxes be rectangle like a nice piece of hifi gear?

Sorry about all that, I had to let off some steam - got carried away:-}

If anyone wants a picture of it, you'll see exactly what I mean.

20. Gort

Gort

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    [Mod - foul langiage deleted]
    Gort - please read the forum rules - no swearing is allowed.
    Consider this the yellow card warning.

21. Gort

Gort

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    [mod - deleted link to page containing more swearing]

22. GGTVBD

GGTVBD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +324
    Gort - now you're just getting silly. Calm down!

You posted your problem on here and people are trying to help. You don't seem interested in anything other than blaming Sky.

You will NEVER get Sky to admit to a software problem.

If you hate the look of your digibox and it has a fault - BUY A NEW ONE! Wouldn't you do just that with any other piece of your AV gear?

Whatever you decide to do - you should stop posting foul language on here in your rants.

For anyone other than Gort who would appreciate help -

Don't glue a heatsink to your cpu with epoxy resin - the whole idea of fitting a heatsink is to transfer heat away from it - this will make it worse! The epoxy resin will not transfer the heat from the cpu to the heatsink very well (if at all) and away. You're just cooking it. You should use heat sink compound - available from Maplin.

23. Gort

Gort

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry about that but it was late and I was tired.

I would go out and buy a new digi-box however so many people have had the same problem it must be software bugs.

I only put a very fine layer of epoxy resin on the cpu - I think it was a waste of time. The chip wasn't getting hot anyhow, just slightly warm, considering that it has been on 24/7 for the last four years.

Nothing compared to how hot a pc chip gets.
    So what digi-box do you have? What do you recommend AND where do you buy them from?

I saw a Sony once round my ex's - looked nice and had a digital audio out socket, could have used that on my av-amp. She said I could swap it for hers - wish I had done it now as we have split up.

AND YES I AM blaming $ky for software - why is it happening to so many people?

24. Gort

Gort

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    PS - I've calmed down now :-}

25. GGTVBD

GGTVBD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +324
    Glad to see you've calmed down!

I know how easy it is to get frustrated when things don't go right - don't we all!

You might be right about Sky's software but, as I said, they will NEVER admit it! It would cost them far too much money!

Think about it though - there are tens of thousands of Grundig digiboxes out there (if not more) and hundreds of thousands of Pace digiboxes. If it were a software fault that affected these two makes it would be on Watchdog! I would guess around 30% or so of Sky subscribers would be affected. My opinion - I don't think it's software. Still think it's the power supply. :devil:

The Sony digiboxes went out of production some time ago. Good thing - they were cr*p!! The Sky+ has an optical output but I don't think any standard digiboxes have.

The Panasonic digiboxes seem to be rated very highly and are probably the most reliable. Try www.skytvrepairs.com - Panasonic digiboxes for £159.99

26. Gort

Gort

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If it's the power supply, when it turns off why is power still being supplied.

The 5v and 12v are still active - I know this because I've tried a fan on these rails and it is still spinning.

But then it could be a drop in voltage caused by a capacitor not working properly.

I'll try another psu if I can get hold of one? Any ideas?
    Or maybe a small pc power supply.

thanx