1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SkyBox, RGB out, Perils of Custom Installation!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Gordon @ Convergent AV, Nov 29, 2001.

1. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,780
    Not sure where to post this bit of info....

We have just finished an installation with a Plasma and off board scaler. The scaler is fed a signal from a Sky Digibox downconverted from RGB to s-video. The RF output of the Sky box is fed around the house by a distribution amp which has IR relay back to the Digibox allowing control of it from all the remote rooms (of which there are alot!)

During the initial install the picture on Sky get disappearing from the Plasma. It'd be fine for 10 minutes, then go off. Sometimes it'd be on for 1hr, then go off. Everytime it went off you just needed to pick up the Pronto and press "TVguide" or "Up arrow" and it's come back on......I presumed it was some form of sync problem with the RGB convertor. So John Sim kindly sent me a modified one to try and fix it.

I went out and installed this new unit and all seemed much better. Then over the weekend the customer mentioned the same thing was happening. Went out yesterday and followed the exact sequence of events they said had caused the pic to go off. Re-created the fault...then spent about an hr trying to work out what was causing it....so is everyone ready!

It seems that when you press the "TV" button on a Sky remote it sends an IR command to the Digibox which turns off the RGB output! Any further SKY commands sent to the box re-awaken it's RGB output.

So the day I put the new RGB convertor in I was the only person in the house and no-one was in other rooms turning tellies off with Sky remotes. The other days there were folk in kitchen, play room etc who would get Sky remote, Press "tv", "stdby" to switch off the TV in the remote room and the picture would disappear from the plasma as the RGB was disabled...nightmare.

Not sure if any of you will ever come across this but forewarned is forearmed as they say. Also if anyone has any idea how to get around this please tell me....soon!

Gordon

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Gordon

I have a Sky box hooked up via scart to my Phirips 36" TV.
    When I press the TV button on the Sky remote the output of the Box changes to CVBS on the telly (not sure what that is) and picture quality is affected.
    I often wondered why but could not come to a satisfactory conclusion until I read your post............

Cheers

Paul...................

3. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,780
  4. bxd

bxd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Gordon,

I'm afraid that I know nothing about Sky boxes or their command sequences.

However, I wonder if you could get round this by using a Pronto remote. (I realise that supplying a pronto for each room might be an expensive option.)

You could program the 'Pronto'(or some other programmable remote) to alter the "TV" command into a short macro which would then issue some other 'command' at the end of the sequence to reactivate the rgb output.

Alternately...it might be easier to run two Sky systems and have one wired just with composite video to feed the bedroom systems.

Just a thought.

Brian

5. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    Ahh, the Japanese version of Philips ;)

Regards

6. Xeonic

Xeonic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You know, after 2 odd years with a digibox, I've only had to muck around with this sillyness now, temporarily connecting to an old TV!! But you may find the following useful...

The box only seems to output RGB if the "SCART Control" option in Services/4/1 menu is set - that will get you (as it got me) straight away!

Also, as you found out, if you press the TV button, it goes back to CVBS. What else it does depends on your output device/connections/remote setup - it could also switch away from the "AV" mode.

On my old TV, the RGB mode takes over, meaning even if you press "TV" and try to switch away, the channel changes but the picture/sound stay the same :(

As I could see, there were two options - don't use RGB, or alter the SCART cable to disable the switching back to CVBS. If you search the net for "SCART RGB Digibox", you'll find more detailed info on this aspect.

In short, unless you tape over the TV key, it may switch away :mad:

7. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,780
    XEONIC: Thanks for your input. This isn't being used with a TV it's going to an RGB to s-video convertor to a scaler to a plasma. Picture quality is a BIG issue in this install. Composite isn't really an option imho.

Disabling pins on the scart lead will have absolutely NO effect in this situation. I have checked this with a lead wired for R,G,B,and a compposite signal for sync. No other pins wired up. Press TV and the RGB signal is lost.......

Martins idea of seperate One for All type remotes is the one we're most likely to end up going with. Multiple Pronto's isn't an option....

Gordon

8. Xeonic

Xeonic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can understand how a Composite connection to a plasma could be, err, a bit undesirable!

It's a shame there isn't a more definite solution. I'm sure I read somewhere it's possible to keep RGB by lead mangling, but if you've tried it, maybe not! If I see the article again, I'll investigate some more!!

9. ian_guinan

ian_guinan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Wouldn't a cheaper solution be just to have a quad LNB fitted to the dish and run a second digibox, hence having one for distribution around the house and one exclusively for the plasma...I think Sky have a cheaper option now to let you mirror your primary subscription onto a second box.

Also...could you use the svideo output on a Sky+ digibox instead (not sure if the TV button switches this off)?

Regards,
    Ian Guinan

10. squid

squid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    this used to realy egt me aswell

i found a simple solution . when ever anyone presses the tv button on a sky remote in my house they just cover the ir transmiter on the remote when they do it . easy as that;)