Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

sky+

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by nickj24, Oct 27, 2003.

1. nickj24

nickj24
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i am interested in sky + but is it possible to watch 2 things at once as my kids will want to watch cartoons y we r watching something else, i no u can record 2 at once but can u still watch another 1,as when 12months r up i suppose they will charge £10 again + sub + sub to another box.also wot r the features on the sky+ box.thanks in advance regards nickj24.

2. JAMBO

JAMBO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nick,
    You can only watch 1 channel at any time. To watch 2 channels you need a mirror subscription, with seperate digiboxes, for an extra £10 per month.
    Main additional features on Sky+ are:
    Watch 1 channel, while recording another.
    Instant record and playback without losing quality.
    Series link record facility.
    Sky Premier movie channels sound available in Dolby Digital 5:1 via optical digital connection.

3. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    No one ever gives me a definitive answer to this question. Is Sky+ that much better than for instance having a Panny HS2. Yes I know you can watch one programme whilst you record another with Sky+ which you can't with the Panny, also you have to manually set the timer on the Panny, but is that it??

4. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975

I imagine the problem with answering that question would be how many people have both a SKY+ and HS2 or similar deviceto give an accurate opinion.
    If SKY is your main source of programming then it makes sense to have an integrate recording device which gives you a one box solution and lets you watch one channel and record another with zero loss of quality and DD where available not to mention full EPG integration making recordings a piece of cake.
    Standalone DVD and HD recorders require a RGB (or similar) connection and therefore only have access to the decoded analogue output of a SKY STB, the program then has to be re-encoded (with more loss of quality) for storage onto the medium the recorder users. However you will have much more control of the recording for editing purposes which is a killer feature for DVD recorders.
    A standalone recorder also have the benefit of handling multipule sources, DTT, Cable and Dsat plus analogue terrestrial and once again that flexibilty is important to some people but then has to rely on the ability to control remotely other STB's.

The answer to the question is going to be different for every user.
    Decide what is important to you then find the hardware that meets those requirments:)

5. nickj24

nickj24
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers jambo but i thought that it was £15 4 another card not £10 also i thought u could now record 2 channels & still watch 1,or is it £10 extra if u hav sky+ & another box.also u hav to pay £10 a month to keep listings etc to record i no a present that a deal is dun were u pay no £10 4 12 mmonths but i supppose it will be back after this 12 month period.hope u can advise further regards nick.

6. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    Thanks for your input starburst. I already have the DMRE30 which I have owned for around a year now, which I use in conjunction with Sky. I don't find it to much of a chore to use the autoview function on the EPG, leaving the box turned on to simply change the channels for me, and set the timer manually on the E30. Even in LP mode the picture quality is more than acceptable for everyday viewing/recording. If I know I'm going to keep it then I use xp or sp mode and a -R disc. Another plus point for the DVDR is that I'm not locked into the £10 sub, which I would have to pay as I don't want movies or sport. Whilst it's not the perfect solution, I do have piece of mind when it comes to reliability. The Sky+ unit is not the most reliable piece of kit, in fact the faults reported on this and other forums horrify me. You don't see many faults reported for the Panasonic equipment. Twin tuners would be nice but they are not essential as most things are either repeated or time shifted anyway. I quite fancy the E100, or will do when the price enters the real world.

7. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +898
    Possibly because it has discussed so many times before and we hope you have the gumption to do a search. :rolleyes:

Here's a reprint of a previous post or two by myself on the advantages and disadvantages of Sky+

Benefits of Sky+:
    • Watch one channel while recording another.
    • Record and play back simultaneously.
    • Pause or even rewind live TV.
    • Dolby Digital sound for films on Sky premier 1 & 2 - this is substantially superior to any form of Prologic or Prologic II decoding.
    • Potentially improved sound quality for all programs, especially if you want to use ProLogic II.
    • Elimination of red dot, etc.
    • Playback picture and sound quality are literally identical to that of the live program - recording to a DVD recorder invariably introduces loss of quality.
    • No need to swap discs.
    • Ease of setting up recordings - find the program in the Sky program guide and push a single button.
    • Series links - automatically record all programs in a series.
    • Simultaneous output of RGB and S-Video, if this is useful.
    • You can record a pay-per-view film, then, if you decide not to watch it after all, delete it without having to pay anything.
    • Switch subtitles on and off while playing back a recording.

Reasons why Sky+ sucks:
    • Reliability - possibly the most bugged piece of consumer AV hardware in history. Many people have had many recordings fail because of a duff unit, and after the first month or so they won't give you a new one, only a reconditioned one. (And not even that after 12 months).
    • 20 hours recording time isn't as much as it sounds. You can fit a larger hard disk, but this invalidates your guarantee.
    • It runs hot - needs good ventilation around it.
    • Software is much less sophisticated than Tivo.
    • Too easy to delete a recording without meaning to.
    • No editing facilities (so you can't, for example, cut the adverts out of a program before archiving to VCR or DVD-R).
    • If you lose your Sky signal feed, not only can you not watch live TV any more, you can't watch a recording either.
    • If you cancel a subscription to a channel then anything you have previously recorded that was on that channel becomes impossible to watch.
    • Very old recordings can become unwatchable if you replace your viewing card.
    • Series links generally don't work if there is a gap of more than a week between episodes.
    • Series links are unreliable, not least because they depend on the channel providers (not Sky) to set them up correctly. (So for example you can end up recording three identical episodes of the same program in the same day).
    • There is no equivalent of PDC, so if an earlier program overruns you will usually lose the end of recordings. (In fairness there isn't any PDC equivalent for Sky or Cable channels no matter how you record them).
    • It fails to warn you if a series link recording clashes with a recording you put in manually, so one of the two recordings will simply fail. (This is incredibly annoying).
    • They've been promising us the ability to record two programs at once for over a year, but there's no still no sign of it happening.
    • If you don't subscibe to at least 2 of Sky's premium channels it costs £10 a month.

8. JAMBO

JAMBO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nick,
    As long as you subscribe to 2 Sky Premium Channels. e.g. Sky Sports package or Sky Movies package etc. (If you have Sky Sports package, then you are subscribing to Sky Sports 1, 2 &3, so this counts as 3 premium channels, not 1, if you catch my drift.), you no longer have to pay the £10 per month Sky+ subscription. Also the mirror subscription has been reduced from £15 to £10 per month.... both with effect from the start of October.
    At the moment, you can only record 1 channel, whilst watching 1 other channel, though I have read elsewhere on this forum that Sky plan to allow you to record 2 programmes, whilst watching 1 other, but at the moment that is not possible.
    Also, if you order over Sky's website, or use the phone and tell them you want the web deal, they will supply the Sky+ box for £199 and install it for £1.
    I have changed recently and think it is a great upgrade, especially the ability to pause live TV, which is an excellent feature, especially as we have a new baby and programmes are often interrupted. When watching in this mode, you can pause and rewind any TV programme, whilst watching it, and see the bit that you missed, then catch up whilst the commercials are on. Don't know how I ever survived without it.
    Hope this helps.

9. DarT

DarT
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "you no longer have to pay the £10 per month Sky+ subscription"

How long does anyone expect this to last ??

Has anyone taken up this offer and asked the question / does it say anything in the contract ?

10. JAMBO

JAMBO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    According to Sky, they have no plans to re-introduce the charge, but cannot say that it will never happen. The contracts that they are issuing still relate to the £10 charge, as they have not updated them yet, but you are told to ignore it !!
    Apparently, the monthly premium on all subsciptions is going up by £2 per month from the start of next year, so no doubt that is their way of clawing back the extra revenue.

11. DarT

DarT
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So you have a choice, you either take the risk that they may re-introduce the fee and have Sky+ or you stick with your general Sky Digital and subsidise all those on Sky+.

I never really expected Sky to give any guarantees on subscription costs, ties them down too much.

At the moment i only have Sky digital, but i am considering switching. The main reason is my analogue signal is cr** and unwatchable, and have been investigating having it improved, various costs have been obtained all varying from £100 upwards for new aerials. So the £200 cost of Sky+ is not much more to be able to record one channel and watch another.

12. nickj24

nickj24
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    jambo thanks m8 4 your advice.regards nick.

13. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975

Exactly why do you think you are subsidising SKY+ users?

14. patmyhead

patmyhead
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    NicolasB
    well explained m8
    P@T

15. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    Well after having read NicolasB's informative if somewhat brusque response, I'm glad to have my E30. As I said before it's not the perfect solution, but it will do most of the things Sky+ will do i.e. timeslip, chasing playback simaltaneous record/playback etc. and will also do certain things that Sky+ can't do i.e. editing. Dolby Digital! err no seperate speakers in this house, can't stand cables all over the place, simple nicam suits me just fine. Loss of record quality - I'm more than content with LP mode, so long as there's a picture on the screen I'm not that picky. The main downer for me though with Sky+ is the reliability factor. I expect my AV equipment to run year after year without fault, and touch wood, all my Panasonic equipment to date has done just that. I think I would rather invest in the E100 when prices come down somewhat.