1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky+

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Bleach, Jan 28, 2003.

1. Bleach

Bleach

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sky+ and Panny 5 series plasma.
    I've connected it upto my Panny in two ways:-

Svideo > Svideo
    Scart RGB > Component converter box > Component input on plasma.

Which one do you think is best? I just can't tell :( I was hoping some of you guys could help me out bit here after your expieriences. I thought the component would be much much better bit I'm strugling to justify the £200+ extra cost involved in it. Shall I keep the component gear or sell it onto my mate? :blush:
    Any help would be greatfully received.
    Cheers.

2. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    You could just go straight RGB either:

Scart - RGBsB (sync on black, uses AV plug on terminal board as well as R, G & B hence disables SVHS)

Scart - 15 Pin D-Sub RGB (requires Plasma VGA converter, or SyncBlaster or equivalent)

Scart - RGBHV (requires plasma VGA converter, SynmcBlaster or equivalent - usefull if you need the VGA plug for PC).

Almost all of these options are less than £200, with a decent scart to RGBsB cable costing around 50 quid.

3. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    If you can't tell which is best, keep the cheaper option. It isn't a contest or anything, if you are happy with s-video sell the other stuff.

S-video is much better than composite, but component is not the same difference again over s-video. On some sources the difference may be marginal; and on SkyDigital the picture may actually be improved by a little "blurring". ;)

Easiest way to compare defiition is to use text. e.g. on BBC ONE press the Text button to launch BBCi. Text and graphics should be pin sharp with RGB and component, but less so with other inputs (which may even have colour bleed).

IMHO if you are happy with s-video, stick with it and save yourself £200. You don't have to use what's "technically" the "best" signal because you read about it, it's what you see that counts.

StooMonster

4. Bleach

Bleach

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Liam,
    The problem is that I've already bought the component stuff, and I really want to feed everything through the amp so I dont have to worry about switching, cheers though.

Stoomonster,
    Cheers mate,
    I know I should be the best judge of the picture, but I've got this annoying little voice in the back of my head saying "Component will be much better you know!!!". I think the voice will still be there after I settle for Svideo!!! :blush: I just cant see it! I think I'm just trying to convince myself, silly eh!? :)
    But I will try the text tonight to see if I can notice any difference there, thanks for your help.

5. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,467
    Bleach

I agree with StooMonster that the difference between S-Video and YUV may not always be night and day but you should see a much more refined and stable image on YUV with less ragged looking edges where you have diagonals and a more three dimensional image.

Have you tried the YUV straight to the display and not via your AV amp - the AV amp may not be having any negative affect but its worth testing.

Also I'm thinking is the S-Video cable still connected to the display and the Digibox not reset to output RGB with SCART control ON etc and the plasma is still picking up a feed from your S-Video; but I dont think that would happen.

Its also worth looking at the contrast setting on your Digibox - if its set to HIGH it can make the RGB look washed out I find; I think it was Gordon who first spotted this problem a month or so back.

Best regards

Joe

6. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    Another thought is quality of cable could affect the YUV signal.

I also found the contrast setting in Sky digibox was set too high on my plasma, "high" contrast was great for my old Sony widescreen CRT but "normal" is much better on plasma.

Also turned off scart control last night, when playing with Sky services in another room. For the life of me couldn't work out why there was no RGB picture on the plasma when my daughter was demanding to watch The Fimbles this afternoon. :blush:

Also my Sky digibox seems to output composite signal if plasma is turned on after digibox, turn the screen on first and then the digibox; or power digibox down and up.

Hope this all helps.

StooMonster

7. Bleach

Bleach

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Joe and Stoomonster,

Cheers guys you've been a great help.
    I tried it again last night compareing component (straight into the plasma avoiding amp) and svideo (through the amp). I did have RGB output set to on, but I checked it against text which I previously hadnt tested. All my cables are lektropacks prostudio which I think are quite good!?! After fireing it up there was a noticable difference between the text on component and svideo (phew!). Putting a film on skymovies there still wasnt a whole lot of difference between the two, but after reading your posts it now all makes sence!!!!! The contrast was set to high on my digbox, so the component looked a bit more washed out than the Svideo. I set it to normal and there is now a noticable difference in quality and colour between the two, Svideo looked a little blurry and the reds seemed to be a bit fuzzy (I hope you're enjoying my technical terms here :)) where as the component was much sharper and colours much vivid.
    So to sum it up, I think it was all down to the contrast on the digibox. It looks alright set to 'high' on Svideo, but much much better using component set to normal.
    Thanks again guys, you've really helped me out here and put an end to the voices in my head... well when I say put an end to the voices, only some of them :blush:
    Thankyou
    :D