Sky +

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Oddbodd, Apr 7, 2002.

1. Oddbodd

Oddbodd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    Hi all, just about to order Sky+, following weeks of reading the threads on this forum I've come to the conclusion it's the one for me.I was going to go for cable but their interactive capability is frankly crap, and of course you can record with Sky+.I think I'll just use cable for broadband and telephone.
    I would appreciate any advice you can give about what and what not to do!I seem to remember some people had problems with different software versions, any advice there would be welcome. I still have my panasonic digi. box and dish(both lying in a box since moving house recently)but don't know what to do with them, do I sell them or trade them in if thats possible? I don't fancy paying another £10 a month to watch another channel in another room! Would it be possible to just connect it up myself and watch any free to air channels if there are any?The only Sky+ boxes I've seen are Pace, does anyone know of any others either now or in the near future? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated:confused: Thank You in advance

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    Only PACE make SKY+ and I don't expect it to change for some time to come.
    The early problems with SKY+ were software related and for the most part have been resolved by the update last year. There are still problems with the series links and planner entries both seem to stem from channels operators who are incapable or choose not to fully support the SKY+ features of the EPG.
    The first batch also suffered from noisy hard drives, this isn't an issue with the later versions that are being installed now.

You can use your Pana digibox with a FTV card (free from the BBC to all UK license payers) and that will pick up the BBC, ITV1, ch4, ch5 etc. SKY charge £25 to install another cable to that box when they install SKY+, so if you go that way book it then.
    You can of course install it yourself, onec the Quad LNB is fitted to the minidish and everything is aligned all you need to do is get some cable and connectors and attach one end to the LNB and the other to your digibox. There is a market for used SKY digital hardware if you decide not to run a second reciever.

3. Oddbodd

Oddbodd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    Cheers for the info. Starburst, you just saved me £10 a month and £25 installation!
    :D