1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sky+

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by nigelcraft, Jan 19, 2002.

1. nigelcraft

nigelcraft
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i thought about this new sky + thingy as it could record all my programs,i could use the optical output for my dolby 5.1 system etc ,then i saw the price and thought,bye bye sky +,am i right in reading it costs £300 for the box £50 to be installed and a further £12 subscription on top of my current £30 odd quid a month,heres hoping i win the lottery,and hope they cut the price like they did when i payed several hundred pounds for my sky digi box then a few weeks later they stopped charging,when sky digital first appeared

2. Joe Pineapples

Joe Pineapples

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +835
    i was speaking to a local satellite installation shop about the sky + boxes, and he told me that they are just not shifting in anywhere near the quantities that they need to be to make sky happy (he keeps an eye on the 'trade' scene for obvious reasons). The sticking point turns out to be the obvious one to everyone - the £10 (or £12?) a month. In his opinion, either they will have to ditch the subscription idea, and make it a 'one-off' payment, or the service will die.

dean

3. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    It's only for profit reasons that the £10 a month SKY+ subscription exists, I do believe SKY+ should have retailed at a slightly higher price and this was the best method they could come up with to keep the purchase price low.
    Hopefully as an existing subscriber a one off payment will be offered (Like TIVO) and eventually when plain hard drive recorders come on the scene it'll be scrapped all together.

Even if they stop making SKY+, HD recorders are not going to go away and all the functionality of the box could still be used even if the so called software development was ceased.

4. Chippy99

Chippy99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +523
    Deansimm, I have to disagree. My golfing buddy runs a satellite TV installation business. They have been going like the clappers since the Sky+ box came out. At one point they couldn't get them for love nor money.

And just by way of anecdote, when Neil called Sky during the install, it was on my speakerphone and the woman at the other end said how mad it had been going with the 1000's of new Sky+ installs.

Personally, I think they've got the pricing spot-on. This would be a £1000+ box if they were to just sell it. £300 + £120 /year is a *very* good deal on that basis. And apart from anything else, Sky is £4 pm less than Telewest anyway, so the extra £10 pm is only an extra £6 over what I was paying before.

And once you've used a Sky+, you really will wonder how on earth we struggled on with a crappy VCR for so long. Well I am v.happy anyway :)

Chip.

5. Joe Pineapples

Joe Pineapples

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +835
    hi Chippy

maybe its just that different parts of the country have different trends, so maybe your friend and the chap i spoke to, are both right.

hmmm - i wonder if this was the same woman who told me that no-one else had complained about sky logos on the screen. I rather think she WOULD say they were selling well - true or not.

The functionality of the sky + box would be a handy convenience, but to pay every month for that, i'll stick to the video - sky are already lifting my leg high enough.

dean

6. Bone Daddy

Bone Daddy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I will have to second Deansimm,in that in the south midlands all the installers cannot get a hold of the boxes,and even if they could no one wants the things because of that stupid £10 extra surcharge,and the £300 outlay,he seems to think that sky will soon opt for the one off payment just to get the service going,and relaunch the whole affair,I know I would get it if the costs wern`t so :eek:

7. nigelcraft

nigelcraft
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i wouldnt mind if it was maybe £150 for the box and maybe £5 extra a month,or even better just maybe no initial outlay for the box but pay £15 a month extra to cover rental of box and extra subscription,at least that would be more managable

8. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't use the video much these days, so just a digi box with d/d capabilities would do me.........