Sky+ :(

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by rik1471, Sep 20, 2005.

1. rik1471

rik1471
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I'm about to move into a 5th floor apartment which has a sky socket in the bedroom and one in the living room. What I would like to know is if these can be paired to 1 Sky+ box to allow full Sky+ functionality? (I can't live without it now :))

If they can't :)() then is there any way of using 1 sky socket with a Sky+ box? Will this allow me to record 1 channel at a time, or will it simply not function?

Regards,
    Rik.

2. gunizzle

gunizzle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    bascially it will allow you to record the program you are watching, it will allow live pause and rewind etc, it just wont allow you to record other programs on other channels unless you are actually watching that station, thats what the other cable does i think, i only know this because my dads in a similar situation with his cabling and thats what seems to happen.

3. rik1471

rik1471
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    That's good news :) - at least my box won't be useless.

Ta.

4. TrevP

TrevP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When you say 'Sky socket' I take it you mean a satellite feed socket. There is not reason why you cant take the feed from this outlet, feed it into a signal/cable splitter and turn it into 2 outputs, thereby feeding both tuners in the Sky+ box....

5. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Oh, yes there is ! It's best not to give advice that could damage the Sky box !

The Sky box sends signals back up the cable to command the LNB to switch between Horizontal and Vertical polarisation, and to switch between frequency bands. One of these switches is the superimposition of a 22kHz tone on the co-axial cable, and the other is to switch the power to the LNB between 12V and 18V. If you connect both the Sky dish inputs together by the use of a splitter, chances are that you will damage the power supply. You will definitely cause the box to malfunction, even if you don't damage it. If all that was needed to make a Sky+ box function on one cable and one LNB was a simple splitter, do you think Sky would go to the expense of fitting two cables and two LNB's ? :rolleyes:

6. rik1471

rik1471
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Thanks, hopefully I can run an extension from the bedroom's sky socket to the living room and have 100% sky+. If not, there's an extremly helpful post on this forum I've read, which details how to use sky+ with just 1 feed; attains about 85% of the functionality.