1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky+

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Wackojacko32, Jan 20, 2005.

1. Wackojacko32

Wackojacko32
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I am considering swapping my NTL cable for Sky+ and just wanted to ask a few questions first

1) Apart from the extra 120gb (and £300 :) ) are there any other differences between the standard Sky+ box and the Sky 160+ box?

2) I would like to get multiroom aswell, but put both boxes in the same room as this feeds the whole house via a booster. Is this possible or will both boxes respond to the same remote command?

3) How bad does the weather have to get before the signal is lost, I know with analogue it wasn't that much which is why I moved to NTL in the first place?

4) What connections does the standard +box have for av connectivity?

5) How far back can you rewind live TV? Is it adjustable?

6) Is the 20 hours recording time realistic on an 40gb HDD?

Thanks in advance for your responses

Wackojacko32

2. Blu Ray

Blu Ray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Hi Wacko,

1) there's some useless USB ports.
    2) You talking magic eye? Should be OK
    3) Weather has to get very bad if it's set up OK, I've had the very rare blockiness in bad weather, but very rare.
    4) scart, s video, optical audio out.
    5) it is adjustable up to 1 hour
    6) 20 hours is it on the 40gb, very upgradeable tho.

3. Wackojacko32

Wackojacko32
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Blu Ray

Thanks for the response. A few further thoughts/questions

1) I dont suppose you can connect the USB port to a computer on the newer models for archiving/editing?

2) WRT Multiroom I was more concerned with the two boxes responding to the same remote control if they were positioned in the same room. Is there the option to change the remote to a separate set of frequencies to avoid this? Or does Sky+ use a completely different set of IR Codes?

Its funny how with Sky+ you can get 20 Hours on 40gb disk but with a 80gb HDD you can only get 20 hours in high res. I suppose its because SKY+ records the raw material at the actual bit rate but you have to guess the bit rate on a HDD and allow for the 'noise' created during the d/a and a/d conversions.

Regards

Wackojacko32

4. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    1. The USB port currently doesn't do anything, that's why Blu Ray commented that it was useless.

2. Sky+ uses different IR codes to ordinary Sky.

Sky+ records to HDD at the bit rate that it was received. Most Sky channels use a variable bit rate, whilst others (BBC, ITV, etc) use constant, that's why the disk space usage is a "guestimate".

5. Wackojacko32

Wackojacko32
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Nick_uk

Thanks for your reply.

Having read various threads on archiving Sky+ to DVDR I was wondering if anyone had tried linking the HDD from the box direct to a PC motherboard. I would assume Sky would have a unique file structure to prevent this from working but if it hasn't been tried before it may be one way of getting lossless transfer to PC HDD, albeit not very convienient! Just a thought

Wackojacko32

6. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    All the recorded programmes are stored on the HDD in ecrypted format (using the standard DOS/Windows file system), so it has to be replayed through the Sky+ box. In the early days of Sky+, a few people thought they could get around Sky's encryption by removing the HDD from a Sky+ box and putting it into a PC. Sadly, Sky were one step ahead of them :)

7. Wackojacko32

Wackojacko32
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I thought as much :thumbsdow . I still think I will give Sky+ a try. I subscribe to the full package on NTL so the real cost will only be £99 (And an extra £10pm if I get multiroom) which is a cheap PVR IMO.

Thanks again for the responses

Wackojacko32