Sky+

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by PRH, Oct 26, 2004.

1. PRH

PRH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am thinking about upgrading to SKY+ but there seems to be a lot of comments abou the noise from the box and pixilation of the picture on playback.

Does any know of these problems or are they just the minority?

Grateful for any help.

PRH

2. Ian182

Ian182

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    Hiya, and welcome to the forums ! :D

Different people will tell you different things. Personally, I don't find the SKY+ box noisy at all. Yes, the fan does come on quite often, but you cannot hear it about the normal sound level of your TV/speakers.

As for pixelation, again its not a problem that I've noticed. I'm using a good quality SCART lead, and the picture quality through RGB is on the whole excellent. Some channels are not as good as others, but that's down to the broadcasters rather than the SKY box.

I've had SKY+ for just over a year now, don't know how I coped without it to be honest !

Ian.

3. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,891
    I hardly hear my fan at all. The picture quality is really great when you compare it to VHS. I've now stopped using my video recorders as I find the quality so poor in comparison. Basically you get whatever is broadcast quality-wise when recording.
    I could never go back to not having Sky+

4. smelly

smelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    Hi :hiya:

I can't add any technical details sorry :( but I too couldn't live without Sky +. Picture is good and I don't hear the fan at all. Have had a couple of minor problems with recordings failing but nothing for a while....God can't believe I've just jinxed myself like that :suicide:

Anyway - go buy... :smashin:

5. bobcar

bobcar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    There shouldnt be any major pixellation under normal weather conditions. Some people tend to watch the picture more than the programme and so notice such things more, I've not had any real problems. Some channels use a low bitrate (ITV2 is very bad) and so the picture is not as good but its still watchable though its not so good for football.

The fan on my Amstrad Sky+ is hardly ever on and even when it is I notice no noise unless I get up close to the box. Not everyone shares the same experience.

6. lonestar

lonestar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    the noise of the fan is not audible at all, as for the pixelation of the signal, this really depends of the quality of the signal that's sent from the broadcaster, but generally I've found the pq to be very good on all the channels that are watched.

I've even gone as far as disconnecting my video player from the tv, as it was now longer used, all our recording is now done on sky+.

I am looking at upgrading the hdd to something a bit bigger, as the majority of recordings on the drive are for my two daughters, my wife and I are left with around 20% of the disk capacity onto which we can record our progs, kids eh, who says they don't take over ... ?

7. PRH

PRH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I big thank you to all respondents. I'm one of those greedy people who has SKY a VCR and a recordable DVD player already - the only erason for the upgrade to SKY+ is the very poor quality of the terrestrial signal.

Thanks again everyone, order about to be place!

PRH