sky+

gb155

Standard Member
Reaction score
my pc has a 5.1 trust sound card with a optical input and my sky+ has a optical output

can i run my sky+ via my pc's sound card for just sound?

If it's their Trust optical card (takes up 2 pci slots) then yes.

no it only takes up one slot but there is a add on part that i have never really looked at.

*EDIT* yes it would take up 2 bays on the case but not 2 actual pci slots, so can i have true 5.1 sound now?

Unfortunately, you can get as far as getting the signal into the PC, alas there is nothing around at the moment that will decode it :(

Steve

im not looking to decod the picture i am just wanting sound, is sound possble ?

I meant sound. You cannot decode the sound - the picture is the easy part via dscaler!

Steve

thanks, that now leaves me with a Big problem, i need a VERY VERY cheap 5.1 decoder i have the speakers ( i bought a dvd player and was told that will do the sky sound jobby but it doesnt) but i have blow ALL my budget, i will be able to fine a little bit more but only a very little

Where can i geta CHEAP 5.1 amp/decoder from HELP PLEASE.

Ebay has that sort of thing come up on a regular basis for under £100.

your right a friend came round with a optical lead and there is just no sound NADA so looks like i'm stuck

To be honest it is the Holy Grail for me and HTPC's right now! Teir is a possibility that a new software media player due for release from Nvidia in the next month or so may address this issue - although it is probably unlikely.

Have you tried WinDVD?

I use it with a very similar card to the trust and the optical in and out work great!!

Windows its self does not use the optical/coax spdif but I'm sure WinDVD is not the only proggy that can do it.

D

sorry but how will i get my sky+ sound through windvd?

go easy please, im new :)

WinDVD can certainly give you real 5.1 from your Trusts spdif. I am sure it will just be an add-in codec, so should do the trick.

You can download a trial version fro the web... plus many sound cards give you an OEM version when you buy it.

D

How do you watch the tv picture through WinDVD? How would you configure it? Would be very interested to know. I hope you can help.

Thanks,

Steve

In answer to the original post:

NO you cant decode the 5.1 DD output of the Sky+ box through your PC.

YES you can (on a lot of soundcards with S/Pdif inputs) decode the 2ch PCM output of the Sky+ box.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom