1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky+

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by suzywong, Dec 8, 2003.

1. suzywong

suzywong
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As part of the recontruction of our AV system, we intend to get Sky+ (already got complete sky package). Our timescale for this is over the next month or so, but I'm installing the rest of the syatem next weekend. Therefore I have a couple of questions:

1. I get the impression (from reading various website, and the postings here) that there will be extra cables running from the dish to the sky+ box. Is this so, or have I misinterpreted? I need to install the cables this weekend and I'd prefer to relay the carpet just once!

2. having just fired up the 50" plasma, I can see that the PQ of the Sky channels is very variable (i.e. exactly as has been reported many times in these forums). Is there any way of improving the PQ (bigger dish?, scaler?) or are we stuffed by the low data rates on certain channels.

Cheers

Chris

2. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    You need 2 coax cables from dish to box. If you have one already you just need to add another. Of course, you will also need a quad LNB on the dish but if you are having a sky install, they will supply this. If you want to lay the cable yourself, just lay a piece of good quality coax (FT100 is best) to the box and leave plenty at the dish end for the guy to connect up with.

3. JAMBO

JAMBO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Steve seems to have covered your 1st question.
    For your 2nd question.... Many people have noticed an improvement in picture quality, when upgrading from Sky to Sky+.
    Personally, my Sky+ picture quality is excellent on all Sky channels, when viewed on a 42" plasma. The problem when getting a bigger screen is, any imperfection is magnified, due to the screen size.... But you can balance it with the WOW factor of a good DVD.

4. suzywong

suzywong
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the answers...time to get out the wire strippers....

Yes the DVD (Pio868 via HDMI) has a big WOW factor. Also WAF is very high (after all this is her project more than mine!). Even the kids are impressed!

Sky plus will be going installed in due course....is the box supplied by Sky the best one, or are there alternatives? What video and audio outputs do the sky+ boxes have? The Pio504 has component, s, composite, rgb video inputs and the meridian surround system has optical, analogue and digital inputs.

Regards

Chris

5. MarkR

MarkR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +291
    VCR Scart
    TV Scart
    S-video
    RF Out 1
    RF Out 2
    Optical Audio out
    left and right audio out

6. ancientgeek

ancientgeek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Being digital, picture quality isn't improved by a bigger dish, unless you're getting freezes. Even then, dish alignment rather than size is probably the problem. The box is either decoding (and error-correcting) the digital stream or it isn't. Variation in picture quality is in the source.

You will get the best picture using the RGB from the SCART output. Depending on your setup, you may benefit from an RGB to Component converter box, for example if your AV amp will accept component but not RGB, and you want it to do the switching.

And of course you'll do best with optical audio out.

CPC is a good source for all the cables, unless you are a cable zealot.

Protect the satellite cable from rain getting in the end until the installer connects it up. A little damp in the cable will ruin it.