1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky+

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Dalorp, Oct 31, 2003.

1. Dalorp

Dalorp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok after much reading of the forums i have found that the general consensus is that some Sky channels/programmes produce Lip Sync problems. Now if the channel/programme was recorded using Sky+ would the same Lip Sync problem occur?

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    I have only seen lip sync problems on three programs in over 5 years of using SKY D and two years using SKY+, twice on SKY1 and the other was a concert on MTV.
    SKY+ records the broadcast bitstream data, if their is a problem with the source broadcast then it will still be there on any recording.

The lip sync issues are more of a problem if you have a Plasma or similar display (which take longer to create an image than a CRT telly does) or you are particularly suspectable to the effect.
    Then again it's amazing how many times it creeps up on material off the net or my own avi/mpegII encodes:)

3. Dalorp

Dalorp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok thanks for the reply. It was worth a try.

The delay caused by the plasma is so small I don't notice it. Its just the delayed in certain programmes that I notice.

4. dml

dml

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can't comment on Sky+ as I don't have it.
    I have a Panasonic digibox and have experienced frequent lip sync problems on ITV. Usually when reverting to a live studio program, e.g. news, following an advert break. The only way to fix this is to change to another channel and back again. Is this a known problem or do I have a dodgy box?

5. Dalorp

Dalorp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll try changing out and back again next time to see if that does it

6. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I used to get this problem sometimes on my Panasonic digibox. (not Sky+) A channel change fixed it right up.

I don't notice it anymore since I've got TiVo, so it may be an issue with using the up/down channel buttons as opposed to hard-keying the channel number. (I had my digibox regularly lock up on me back when I used to channel surf; it never happens anymore)

7. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    Yes; different channels, different programmes on same channel, different segments in same programme, can all have different lip-sync problems which are caused by the broadcasters.

With a normal interlaced CRT you don't notice this too much, however, with a plasma or LCD or display that involves digital processing (and thus a tiny delay of their own) this problem can really stand out.

Some broadcasters are consistently worse than others, but in recent months the BBC in particular has improved significantly.

StooMonster

8. Cambo

Cambo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just got my Sky+ today and the first thing I noticed when viewing it through my PJ was lip sync problems:(
    Will keep you posted when I investigate it further..