Sky - yet another increase

A

Arthur.S

Is it just me, or does anyone else think that Sky are taking the p**s? When inflation is at an all time low they're increasing their prices yet again. It strikes me that here on these forums there is a fair sized 'block' of Sky customers. How would Sky react d'ya think to say, a thousand customers saying "up yours" in an organised group? Food for thought?

Arthur, can't agree more, I want to ditch my Sky+ as the price is getting stupid!:mad: The mrs has some valid points of why we should keep it but its killing my bank account!

Taz.:cool:

Second that as well,we have cut out all the packages over the years to leave just the family/basic package (thats still with the increase £17.99 or thereabouts :eek: ) so we still get our dose of `bada-bing` every thursday etc... but you have to say they are taking the p*** in anouncing increases,especialy this time of year,I`m up for a well worded rant to voice our dis-pleasure.
Although I know the response will probably be along the lines of "we haven`t increased the prices for a long time and I`m sure you will agree the new roster of programes/inane couples flirting etc.. will be of intrest to you,and more than worth the price of admision,etc.... lets see what the response is........

I’ve said similar in an other thread, if they did not increase the price last year, add the inflation rate with this years (not bothering compounding as it is to little and do not know the actual rates) I think the max it is 3% for both that’s 6% but they have increased subscription 15.6% (if it is £18.50) that 2.6 times above inflation. The vast majority of wages or pensions haven’t gone up that much.
When I started I could get all the family channels and the 2 movie channels for about £15. What does this cost now??

It would be nice if you could opt out of getting that crap magazine every month and save a couple of quid on the subscription.

What a complete waste of paper. Goes straight through the letterbox and into the bin.

Greg

I'll second that and save a tree in the process.:rolleyes:

Originally posted by Arthur.S
How would Sky react d'ya think to say, a thousand customers saying "up yours" in an organised group? Food for thought?

Put simply, they wouldn't care.

So, let's say a hundred or so thousand people ditch Sky... they lose maybe £2 million a month.

They still have 6 million people paying an extra £2.50 a month... and that means a net increase in profits of £13 million per month.

The current price rise factors in current subscribers who will migrate to Freeview and those who will cancel out of princple.

Sky. Win. It's. That. Simple.

The option to ditch the magazine in favour of a reduction in the fee sounds good to me,now how much is that rag worth ?? - in Sky`s eye`s - priceless!! in everyone else`s - didly squat :)

Originally posted by Bone Daddy
how much is that rag worth ??

I actually resent the space it takes up in my kitchen bin each month. At least most junk mail is fairly small in size.

True there Juboy,and I also hate that stupid letter I get telling me every month that I have been sucsefully robbed of £17 or so by a Mr Murdock,what a waste of time and paper,by all means tell me of future highway robbery charges,but don`t fill my waste bin with more of your trash.....:mad:

Originally posted by juboy

So, let's say a hundred or so thousand people ditch Sky... they lose maybe £2 million a month.
For them to lose 2 million on the family viewers the will have to lose 125,000 subscriptions at £16. I cannot see this happening but on the other hand this could be a rise too far as it is with me.

I used to get those 'invoices' but they stopped coming about 8 months ago. Now if only they'd forget to send the mag as well :)

Originally posted by Garrett
For them to lose 2 million on the family viewers the will have to lose 125,000 subscriptions at £16. I cannot see this happening but on the other hand this could be a rise too far as it is with me.

You're right, they won't lose that many subscribers. They know that. What they are doing is guesstimating 'worst case scenario' so that when that doesn't happen they end up with even BIGGER net profits from the increase.

Somebody, somewhere is covering their back, that's all that's happening with this rise.

As I've said before, Sky are simply using their loyal customer base to cover the cost of losing the disloyal ones/those who can no longer afford it (although, when put in perspective, £2.50 doesn't even buy me one pint of lager in my local anymore).

The thing is why is the price increase so big? if this was on a price of larger I could cut my consumption down, to compensate for the rise. But they do not do bundles like they use to do on NTL. I receive a vast amount of stations I do not want and never watch as one commentator compared it with wanting a news paper and having to buy every one. I’m only interested in about 5 and a radio station. Yet I have to pay for all the others. I see they are going to increase the charge for the BBC to transmit over there system (is this the same for other stations?).

As much as I join everyone in moaning that I'm gonna have to pay more for my viewing pleasure, I have to say that people keep using inflation as a guide to how they are being ripped off by $ky. Don't forget that inflation is only effective for the same product and Sky are adding new channels to they package all the time and although you may not watch them you get them.

Please don't flame cos I DONT agree with the price increase!
Cheers;)

Rich

Originally posted by BrewMonster
Don't forget that inflation is only effective for the same product and Sky are adding new channels to they package all the time and although you may not watch them you get them.

But that’s like buying a tin of peas and them adding a small tin of luncheon meat with it and increasing the price, but you may be a vegetarian.
I already receive a load of programs I never watch what’s the point in adding more of them for me not to watch and increasing the price.

I personally think it's time that Sky reviewed their package options. All these crappy 'lifestyle' channels who wants them? How many garden/house/people makeover programmes can there be? As far as the "recycled before it hits the mat" magazine goes, we're told that it's 'free' because we take the full package. A good idea though, but even if they knocked 2 quid off the price for not taking the mag, they'ed make it up next year!

I'm sure that a large block of customers together with a bit of publicity - dump the pump style - would make them sit up & take notice. Don't forget Sky need advertising revenue. Advertisers like there to be an audience to see their ads! Which brings me to........Don't you think they also take the p**s with the amount of advertising? Roughly a third of what you watch is advertising - why, when we pay through the nose with our subscriptions? (answer: we're all bloody sheep:rolleyes: )

A while back, Sky (alledgedly ;) ) targeted the publicans in this area & levied a huge price increase. A band of them just said F** - well you get the picture. Didn't take too long before Sky came crawling back. When I first applied for Sky Digital in the early days, they were taking an absolute age to install. In the end I just said something along the lines of: either get someone round to install it or cancel my subscription. The guy replied: "in that case you'll have to cancel as I simply can't give you a date for an engineer to install. OK sez I, put me through to someone to cancel my subscription NOW. Result? Got my installation the very next week.:devil: Believe me, they are not immune.

Am I actually missing anything through not having SKY? I want a rubbish mag, too, and the chance to moan about advertising and that. Where do I sign up for that? Oooooh, and lets not forget the lifestyle channels, they sound fantastic. I demand to have my lifetstyle channels please.

I suppose i'll do what i normally do....Call them robbing c u next tuesday's and pay the increase.

All this so Andy Gray can talk absolute shyte @ me trying to make out that being a football commentator is something scientific!!!.

Is it buggery......It's the Roy Walker syndrome.

'Say what you see'

Still cant beat 'Gilette Soccer Saturday' though.....

Adzman......

Andy Gray comes in to where I work each week - really nice guy and all that (and sometimes his lovely wife Suzanne Dando :p ) but you want to see his company car :eek: Mercedes S55 AMG - black on black and he`s only a commentator,dread to think what the big wigs are driving :rolleyes: and remind me, who`s paying for this?? :rolleyes:

What is the cost now for the full package? I cancelled when it went to £37:mad: I only had SKY for 2 years and it started at £30 - I actually like normal TV again - it just take a bit of time:)

I think the absolute base price is £11 or £12?

I pay £16 a month, which even after the rise to £18.50 is still what some people pay for one DVD. As I have no other way of watching the 4 episodes of Six Feet Under each month, I'll be sticking with it.

I saw a a report on Sky this morning and it went like for the first quarter there average profits per customer were up about10% that before the price increase.

Originally posted by BrewMonster
As much as I join everyone in moaning that I'm gonna have to pay more for my viewing pleasure, I have to say that people keep using inflation as a guide to how they are being ripped off by $ky. Don't forget that inflation is only effective for the same product and Sky are adding new channels to they package all the time and although you may not watch them you get them.

Please don't flame cos I DONT agree with the price increase!
Cheers;)

Rich
I don’t know how I missed replying to this one, but as far as I know the new channels pay Sky for the privilege of being transmitted, not Sky pay them.
I stand to be corrected but Sky did make .tv but they pulled the plug on it much to the chagrin of many forum members.

There is a simple answer to all of this - switch to Freeview, no c**p magazine you're paying £2 a month for, no lifestyle channels you'll never watch in a million years and you are saving £16 - £37 a month into the bargain!! You are paying the BBC a licence fee anyway so you might as well take advantage of the extra channels they are providing as part of it.

:D

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom