Sky + worried now!

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by ben_e71, Mar 18, 2003.

1. ben_e71

ben_e71

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Have been reading Sparkz's thread about his problems and a few others as I was just about to take the plunge and order SKy +.

Not sure now whether that would be a good move or not.

Having said it, I read about a lot of people who have had problems with Sky itself and I've never had any.

Is it just a minority of unlucky people have had some problems or it the system as a whole shaky.

The trouble with these forums are also their advantage which is you get a lot of info but sometimes you only hear the bad stuff. After all not many people would write I have this it is brill etc...

So I would be interested in comments on experience with Sky + and some indication of how long you've had it etc...

thanks

2. ISHANTY

ISHANTY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    i've had sky+ for over 18months and i can say i haven't had any problems near as what i hear on here it does what i ask it to do 98% of the time maybe some people are extremly unlucky,as far as i'm concern its been a real treat to use

3. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think the main thing is to keep it as cool as you can, if you put it in a TV cabinet it will overheat and you'll get all manner of problems.

I've had mine since they first cam out and I've had no problems at all. Well, apart from the software bugs of course!

DaveP

4. ISHANTY

ISHANTY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    well yes i do agree there i did have problems with that in the begining but now that i have it on an open glass av unit its been a dream no freezing or over heating whats so ever

5. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    You've got to remember that series links and other EPG elements are controlled via the channels themselves and not SKY so it's technically wrong to blame SKY+ for missing and vanishing links.
    I had SKY+ installed four days after it launched and apart from early teething problems it does everything I tell it to, however I do not record anything off the channels that Plague1392 is having series link troubles with.

His contention is I believe that he was sold SKY+ on the basis that you wouldn't miss a program etc etc and even though SKY can not control the EPG data of a independent broadcaster they are ultimately responsible based on their advertising and the charging of a fee.

I would not hesitate to recommend SKY+ to anyone that used SKY's subscription channels as their main source of broadcast telly, even handicapped by the £10 sub it's still light years ahead of a digibox/vcr combo.

6. common

common

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    i've had it for about 9 months and I can safely say it's the best purchase I have ever made (and i've made a few)

zero problems - 100% of programmes recorded successfully

luv it

7. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    I've had Sky+ for around 6 months with absolutely no problems, never missed a programme. I even have it in a unit with only around an inch of space around it and have had no problems with it overheating.

One of best additions to my A/V kit I've made.

John

8. GregMarst

GregMarst
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have had Sky + for about 4 months. I have had one or two failed recordings but it works fine 99.99% of the time. I have never had a failed series link and I use this feature alot. That said my neighbour got Sky + at about the same time (I had to have one after seeing his in action). His died about a week ago and at the moment is with Sky being repaired. These are the only Sky + boxes I know of first hand. Make of this what you will.

Greg

9. Brigadeer

Brigadeer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My first Sky+ box lasted 2 months. My 2nd box lasted 2 hours. Will only ever get a reconditioned box as replacement. Not a good advertisement for a digital tv platform if you ask me. Lets hope the Sky+2 box is better - because i'm cancelling this one. I don't have any probs will my other home cinema appliances - so why should i put up with faulty boxes and endless engineer visits.

10. boogie man

boogie man
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    had sky+ for 18 months + never gone wrong, it does exactly what it say on the tin :smashin: best buy ever:smoke:

Graeme (boogie man)

11. ben_e71

ben_e71

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Brigadeer

is there anything you can put this down to? i.e. lack of ventilation, user mods, etc... or anything you noticed prior to fault or are you just dammed unlucky?

12. gilesm

gilesm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Had mine for a year now, and is definatley the best thing I've bought. Had no problems, even got the plus bit free for 8 months as Sky forgot to charge me the additional tenner. Mines at the bottom of a stack of other stuff, so never suffered from heat problems. All my series links have recorded - maybe I'm just lucky !!!

Giles

13. Todda

Todda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just posted on another thread, I have had sky + for a year now and it run perfectly.

I think you were probably right when you said people are more likely to ask questions about the bad things that have happened to their equipment.