Sky+ won't power on - Red Light

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Shipp, Feb 11, 2009.

1. Shipp

Shipp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I've got problems with my Sky+ box and I'm hoping some of you guys can maybe help.

As far as I can tell its a Thomson TDS470NB(80Gb). Yesterday morning, the box wouldn't come out of Standby, just sat there with the Red power light on.

I've tried the software update, which appears to work as it displays the message saying it is downloading updates but afterwards it's still the same. I've also tried the Full System reset using the left and right buttons at the sides of the select button. Nothing happens, I could be sat there for hours and nothing would change.

I've also tried changing the HDD with a couple of spare IDE ones I have(more for diagnostics than anything else) and then trying the reset, still nothing.

The only thing I have noticed is that when I power then box on at the mains, the red power light comes on and then blinks once and then stays on. Does anyone know if this is some kind of error code or if there's anything else I can try..apart from getting a new box. Typically the box is 6 weeks out of warranty...

Cheers

Steve

2. Gerry557

Gerry557

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I have the same problem on mine. Its thought that its caused by removing the power lead whilst power is on.

Mine was working fine then red light of death, I also tried the software up date to no avail.

Its currently in bits.......... want to buy some spares

Searching the net it seems this is quite common try cancelling sky and they might offer a repair as they did with me.

3. Shipp

Shipp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that, we had a power cut early yesterday morning so that's probably whats happened.

Might have to try the 'I want to cancel my subscription' ploy

4. mjcairney

mjcairney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,079
    Sky are much more likely to accept your "wish to cancel" nowadays.

Cheers,

Martin.

5. Shipp

Shipp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just rang Sky, you're spot on, Engineer to visit on Monday for free :thumbsup: