Sky+ with stacker

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Marcus Wood, Jan 18, 2003.

1. Marcus Wood

Marcus Wood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I live in a block of flats which was built a couple of years ago. The developers installed a communal Sky Digital distribution system.

Unfortunately they only installed one feed to each flat. So on the face of it, we can't get Sky+ without major rewiring.

However, there is a 'multiswitch' on each floor that distributes the feed to each flat, and there are some unused outputs on them.

The company that maintains the system are also agents for Sky, and they told me that they could sell me a Sky+ box (£300 + £100 installation), and install something they called a 'stacker' (£120 + VAT) on one of the spare outputs on the multiswitch that would enable two feeds to be sent through the existing wire to my flat.

The 'stacker' works by elevating the frequencies of one of the feeds, sending both down the wire and then separating them out at the other end.

Aparently it works in both directions, so the signals sent by the Sky box to the multiswitch (that tell it which waveband to send to the box) are also transmitted properly.

They say they have installed this in a couple of other flats, and it works fine.

Has anyone here had any experience with this type of system, and if so are there any associated problems, especially with picture/sound quality?