1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky+ with one satellite cable...?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by ben_gb, Aug 3, 2004.

1. ben_gb

ben_gb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I'm in a block of flats which has a shared Sky dish. There is a single satellite cable coming into my flat (I haven't used it yet).

Can you use Sky+ with only one cable coming from a shared dish?

Is it possible to put a 'splitter' on the cable from the dish and then plug both ends into the SKy+ box to get the ability to record two channels at once (or record one while viewing another)?

Thanks any suggestions!

Ben

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    not unless you sacrifice the second input, ie record and watch at the same time.

3. sinbrad

sinbrad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

You state that you live in a block of flats where you have a shared satellite dish, how do you know the cable that is coming into your flat is from the dish? The reason I ask is that I believe the maximum outputs from an LNB at the moment is four which means that only four digibox's or two + boxes could be connected at anyone time allowing independant selection of channels, if it were a quad LNB? How many people live in your block of flats? I would ask your neighbours what is coming down their cables as I think it might be what is commonly know as "SMATV". Which means that the satellite dish is connected to a distribution system and all that would be received is preselected channels (normally the free to view/air channels). You will have no control over what channels you could watch. Sky is split into two planes, horizontal and vertical. In order to watch both at the same time you would have to have at least a twin LNB as a single LNB will only allow you to have one or the other and not both. That is why the + box requires a twin LNB so that no matter what plane the channel is on it will allow selection by the digibox of any combination of both. I would look into getting your own dish installed, save any confusion in the long run

4. Ridcully

Ridcully

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Yes it is possible.

If your system is like mine all four feeds of the LNB go in to a digital Mux. This then produces an output for each flat. The sky card then defines what can and can't be decoded.

To use sky + on one cable you need thishttp://www.satcure.co.uk/accs/page1b.htm#stacker

Alternatively do what I did. I have a second feed coming in to the bedroom. This was for TV only. I came to an agreement with a neighbour and at the mux swapped their main feed and my bedrrom feed. Net result, they get a lounge feed for TV and FM only, I get a bedroom feed for TV FM and Sat. I then but an extension cable on the bedroom feed to get to my Sky+ box

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    easily done with a quattro LND and multiswitch the issue is polarity etc it may be possible to split the feed to Sky+ but you will be stiuck with both tuners on same polarity.

6. sinbrad

sinbrad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unless you know more about the setup in your apartment block there is no point in forking out for equipment that you may find useless. It is all well saying that something will work but everyone has different setups. What will work in one setup may not work in another. As stated a Quad Lnb will only allow two SKY+ boxes or four standard boxes, one SKY+ box and two standard boxes to work independantly at any one time. If your block has more than four apartments in total and each apartment had SKY this would exceed the output of the Lnb. Best to talk with the other people in the block or better still find out who installed the system in the first place.