1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky+ with one feed

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Warp, Feb 12, 2005.

1. Warp

Warp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have read many posts and would greatly appreciate it if somone could comfirm my understanding:

1. I live in a communal flat that has only one feed
    2. If I get a sky+ box and a cable splitter I can feed both sky+ box inputs with the same signal.
    3. I will then be able to use the sky+ box to record a programme using the personal planner etc, but I will only be able to watch the same programme that I am recording. I am happy with this as I will be mainly recording programmes when I am not at home.
    4. I will need to contact sky to let them know I have a sky+ box so that they can enable the recording feature?

Thanks in advance

2. sinbrad

sinbrad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You do not require a splitter of any kind as 9 out of 10 times this would be useless. I know some others have suggested using one but you don't need it!
    All you have to do is connect your new SKY+ box vice the old. As long as you have a subscription that includes at least 1 premium package ie sports or movies then you will have full functionality of the SKY+ box otherwise it's an extra 10 pound a month on top of your existing subscription. The only exception being that you won't be able to record one channel whilst watching another as you mentioned, which is obviously down to only having one connection. Oh and yes just give SKY cs a call and tell them you now have a SKY+ box installed, all plain sailing. :)

3. Warp

Warp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks Sinbrad

However I thought I might be able to get around one the problems you mentioned you were having in the thread below. If I have a split connection feeding both inputs will it not get around the problem of having to set up dummy recordings?

4. sinbrad

sinbrad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If both programmes that are to be recorded are on the same polarisation then it would work but if not then it would just be a failed recording. Theoretically it should replace the dummy record method? But trial and error is the only way to find out. Maybe someone who has already set their system up like this could give a definitive answer? The other problem that I can see is if the digibox is trying to fight with polarisation ie one tuner trying to access horizontal and the other trying to access vertical, will this cause the LNB to malfunction and fail or at the very least cause the good recording to go bad. Hence the whole idea of having two seperate feeds? Probably better to stick with what we know. But there's always the element of risk in experimentation.

5. tim k

tim k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone please confirm who has a sky + box with the two inputs connected whether channel changing for recording is working? I and im sure many others want the facility to record using a sky + box and only have 1 feed as communal dish. The only other option is having a sky dish put inside facing the south window!!

6. treefrog

treefrog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I am also interested in the same setup as Warp's and wondered whether DD will also function.

7. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Unless this has changed since before Christmas, you need 2 premium channels (i.e. both sports packages or both movie packages, or combination of two of these).

I'm on 1J (Sky Movies 2 & Sky Sports 1) which is/was the cheapest option to qualify for not having to pay the subscription.

8. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I would have thought that as long as the channel you want to watch is broadcast with DD (and you can receive it) then you should get DD from your Sky+ (as long as you've enabled bitstream output)

9. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    You cannot get full functionality of the SKY+ box with only one downlead, you must have either two connections to a dual LNB or two feeds from the communial multiswitch. You can only feed one type of sat signal down each lead at any one time (i.e. HL or HH or VL or VH, never a combination!).

10. Warp

Warp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I understand that I will not get full functionality with only one feed. I am only after partial functionality......the ability to record something down one feed while I am away from home (and therefore will not be watching another channel).

Sinbrad has accomplished this with one feed to one sky+ input but has to set up dummy recording to make multi-recordings work (as described in my second post above). We are trying to find out if anyone knows what would happen if the one feed was split into two and those were connected to both sky+ inputs. Would this get around the work-around that Sinbrad describes?

11. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    No practical experience of this type of connection but if you split a single LNB feed into the two LNB inputs you will get both tuners attempting to access the LNB and considering that means applying current via the cable I can not see it causing anything but trouble when both tuners send signals.
    If by some chance this current didn't damage the tuner or LNB you will be forever missing programming thanks to clashes unless you never attempt to record two channels or back to back programming on two different channels.

Having used SKY+ for years I could not be without it but I question the expense if you are being severly limited by external factors.
    Unless someone has done this and can confirm either way it's a risky proposition and a good sat control VCR or HD/DVD recorder fed by a digibox combined with a Freeview integrated HD STB may be a viable alternative.

12. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    DO NOT split a single LNB downlead and connect it to the twin inputs on the SKY box..... You need a second feed from the Multiswitch in a communial system or from a quad LNB..

13. sinbrad

sinbrad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Sorry, was quoting SKY movies as a whole package and not split into two seperate packages, same for sports!