Sky+ with no subscription - Is it worth it ?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by mark.carline, Jan 16, 2004.

1. mark.carline

mark.carline

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +125
    I currently have a standard PACE Sky box with a subscrition fee of around £18 and i'm happy with the channel package i've got.

I dont want to pay £10 extra a month or get any kind of advanced sky movies package (ie i wont be eligable for the sky plus subscrition).

When I had SKY installed 2 years ago I paid 50 quid extra to get a quad LNB fitted and in my living room I have got 2 x sky F connectors available to the quad LNB. My question is simple :

I am thinking of swapping my PACE sky box for one of these sky plus boxes thats going on ebay (see link below) and I just wondered what extra I am going to get ?

I guess i'll be getting:

1) Optical output for sound
    2) SVideo Connection for video

but what about:

3) Dolby digital 5.1 on any channels ??

or even:

4) Will I be able to record ANYTHING without the subscrition ???

Any thoughts on this ???

links on ebay for sky plus boxes:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=29784&item=3070257312
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=29784&item=3070606246

2. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    It will have optical output but currently only movie channels 1, 2 and 3 (and possible Disney) broadcast in DD so it would be standard stereo only for every other channel.

Standard sky boxes already have s-video - my old Grundig did.
    Anyway, RGB scart would be the better format.

You will not be able to take advantage of the Sky+ features without a subscription and having the features activated on your card.

3. STOWITBELOW

STOWITBELOW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    I don't understand, but I believe Brogan. Others have said also- no subscription no recording either, otherwise a few diy tweeks & we'd all be saving. Looks like its Ebay for a Tivo or double you Sky outgoings

4. chilpillphil

chilpillphil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes, no sub no recording, and DD5.1 is only on a couiple of the movies, its really not worth it,

cheapest pack is £29 to get a free sky+ sub,

5. Beastie Boy

Beastie Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was in the process of ordering Sky+ about 8 weeks ago. Once I found out about the £10 sub I aborted the order as I was only interested in the £18.50 Family Pack. Sky posted me some info on the standard Sky digital package in the hope that I would have this instead but I wasn't interested.
    Anyway, I received a phone call from Sky 4 weeks ago enquiring whether or not I was interested in Sky Digital. I told them I was only interested in Sky+ but wasn't willing to pay £10 per month just to use my own equipment. The lady asked me to hold for a minute, and when she came back I was told that the offers had changed and the £10 sub was no longer required :confused:
    I have now signed up for the Family Pack only, after confirming several times that I wouldn't be paying the sub. Installation is arranged for this Monday 19/1.
    It seems as though Sky would rather miss the £10 than miss having a new customer :)

Cheers, Beastie.

6. xyznicko

xyznicko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I hope they confirmed it in writing did they?

7. WeirdFish

WeirdFish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I'd phone and double check if I were you. Some was raving about the very same thing at work yesterday. He was told he didnt have to pay the tenner but sure enuf the first bill has come in with it on.

He's having probs getting it cancelled now too as you're contracted for a year. Unsuprisingly they are denying all knowledge of him being told it would be free.

I would check why you can

8. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    As long as you have I think 2 premium channels and your subscription cost is over £28 or something like that then yes, the £10 Sky+ subscription is waived.

9. chilpillphil

chilpillphil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The family pack doesnt have too

when my 12 months is up, im gonna ask for family pack, with not £10 sub, if they wont give it to me, im gonna cancel the whole lot and get a freeview PVR

10. Beastie Boy

Beastie Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You are dead right. I've just phoned Sky to confirm what my monthly fee will be and I have been set up for the £34/month World pack. When I explained what I had been told, she said that they must have been mistaken as the £10 fee would apply on the Family Pack.
    I asked to speak to a supervisor who said she can't think why anyone would deliberately misinform me. That part is obvious, if they had been honest I wouldn't have ordered Sky+.
    I also infomed them that I shall be contacting Trading Standards to report the clear case of deliberate mis-selling. Needless to say, I have cancelled the installation and just have to wait to get the £200 refunded to my credit card.

Many, many thanks to you for helping me avoid the problem of trying to cancel once it is installed. You have saved me a lot of grief.

Cheers, Beastie.

11. WeirdFish

WeirdFish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Glad I helped, but sorry I was right :(

12. chilpillphil

chilpillphil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    will they ever drop the charge?

or reduce it,

13. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

Yes they will, would not be surprised if it happened this year. When marketing conditions dictate that the £10 fee is a barrier to further take up or it's generating too much negative press due to Freeview churning out more and more non-subscription HD STB's with access to a 7day EPG and some with DVD recording as well.
    It will make SKY technology look second rate and they have prided themselves as leaders in the field.
    It was marketing that made SKY waive the fee for certain packages as to help retain subscribers and generate new ones and anything that makes the SKYworld package look better value is good and waiving the SKY+ fee costs SKY nothing.

14. Beastie Boy

Beastie Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone know if NTL are to release a similar product. There's nothing like direct competition for reducing prices.

Cheers, Beastie.

15. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I think Sky know they will have to drop the tenner at some point soon, because people will soon come to expect such services free. As PVR's become better and more user friendly, we will be able to have a standard Sky sub and get a PVR/DVDR all in one for a one off cost.

The two premium channels thing is a temporary ploy to get people like me, who were on the family pack to upgrade and 'get used to' paying £34 a month to Sky. Most people will continue to do so.

Me, I'm not sure if movies is worth £16 a month. That's a lot of Box Office movies or hired DVD's. I guess I'll see how flush I am at the time but, for now, it's worth it for Sky+.

16. xyznicko

xyznicko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Someone from NTL tested the water with an opinion poll on the Ntlhellworld forum a while back, the poll was about if people would be interested in such a device for NTL,the sugested model was with a monthly PVR additional subscription.
    Sky have since changed the Sky plus subscription model, so I dont know where this leaves NTL now.

17. twarde

twarde

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Beastie Boy,

I am in the same situation as you. As a family package sub I didn't want to pay the £10 a month for SKY+. Instead I've bought a Pace Twin recorder. I have to say I'm well impressed with it as is the wife, and she has no interest in hpme entertainment equipment. I rarely record anything fron SKY, So i'm not missing much. In fact I'm tempted to cancel sky completly and save £19.50 a month. This will pay for my Pace in under a year.

18. chilpillphil

chilpillphil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    im on sky plus, if they dont drop the monthly charge when my contracts up im going to cancel,

i will not pay £29.50 for sky plus, when 90% of what i watch/record would be on freeview

19. Beastie Boy

Beastie Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    twarde,

I am also now considering the Pace Twin. The only drawback is that it will only record Freeview (or so I believe) so it is slightly less functional than my VCR.That's what was appealing about $ky+. I am currently on the NTL Family Pack, but I suppose there isn't that much on there that I would want to record.
    It's a pity that there isn't an extra Scart input on the Pace, with a standard record timer for recording in the same manner as a VCR. That way you could make full use of the PVR/EPG functions for Freeview, and still use the device in dumb VCR mode.
    The HDD could be a bit bigger too.

Lots to consider.

Cheers, Beastie.