Sky with No Aerial

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by nickwild, Sep 21, 2005.

1. nickwild

nickwild
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HI team,

I need to change my aerial and get a system for distributing my existing sky around my house now.

I'm currently in a bad reception area for Emley Moor due to being behind a hill and so have to tune down to Belmont which gives me really poor PQ :thumbsdow

My installer tells me that I should have no problems with DTT from Emley moor and so that was the route I was aout to embark on...

However would I not be better to install a new quad LNB and rather than buying the freeview STBs get some used Sky digiboxes from Ebay and the card that allows free sky channels through my dish (is this FTA or FTV?).

In effect should I really bother with a new aerial - I'm not bothered about any more channels than the standard terrestrial chanels and the sky package I have for my son (which is only needed in one room) just better quality reception throughout my house.

TIA

2. ijd

ijd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    touble is with sky free to view channels you dont get all the channels as when using a freeview box, ie no e4 no history and a couple of others are missing as well,may be better to get sky multi room and feed the other sets via rf, i know there is a £10 monthly charge but at least you get a wider channel range.
    why not consider sky plus that give you a quad lnb,and multi room,

3. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    I must admit that my aerial came in handy last night when BBC1 on Sky went off for about 10 minutes during "Holby". The terrestrial feed was OK.

4. wormvortex

wormvortex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +347
    isn't it £10 for each additional box though?

5. nickwild

nickwild
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Really not bothered about E4 and other "non-traditional" channels in all rooms... if I want that I can go to teh set in the house that has a full sky subscription.

Point taken about SKy dropping it's feed on channels, but I suppose this is pretty rare.

It seems to me (unless I'm missing somthing - which cuold be a possibility!! :confused: ) that a couple of used boxes from ebay may be my answer.

What is the difference between FTV and FTA - with one of these I believe you don't need the £20 card?

6. Archie Fax

Archie Fax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10