1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky + with Denon 3803 and plasma

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by nicksurrey72, Dec 17, 2003.

1. nicksurrey72

nicksurrey72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All,

I have just purchased a home cinema/audio system
    Denon 3803
    Denon DVD2900
    Monitor Audio Silver 8's
    Monitor Audio Silver centre
    Monitor Audio Silver di-pole rears
    REL Strata III sub
    Connected to a Fujitsu 42" plasma

I am having SKY+ installed tomorrow and getting rid of the NTL system (I hope that was a good idea!) I am running the Plasma through the 3803 using component only and have been told if I want to connect sky through the 3803 using the same component connection I will need to purchase a converter (electronic box of some description) is this true or should I be able to take a connection direct from the sky box into the 3803 and then let the amp do the work!

Appreciate any response!

Nick.l

2. D J Fryer

D J Fryer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    AFAIK the 3803 only upconverts and/or switches composite, s-video & component. Your Sky+ box outputs RGB so you would need to convert the RGB to something that could be handled by your 3803.

Have a search for JS (John Sims) converters.

3. itcosthowmuch

itcosthowmuch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Nick - I have just purchased a TH42-phd46 and have sky+ running through a JS technology box which converts scart into component. This then goes straight into my 3803 and gives a good quality piccy.

AV-Sales sell them and can be viewed here:

http://www.av-sales.com/html/convertors.html

hope this helps

M

4. Aydon

Aydon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sky + Will go into the 3803 as S-Video. The 3803 will then upconvert to Component to the pj.

This is how I have mine setup - you do not require external boxes.

5. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    All you need do is go out and buy yourself a good S-Vid cable.....connect both ends to equipment...........SORTED.:)

6. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As stated, the 3803 will upconvert s-video to component & does this quite well IMO.

I'd suggest doing just this initially & consider a RGB/component convertor at a later stage.

:smoke:

7. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    IMO PQ via s-video upconverted on the 3803 isl not as good as RGB converted to component on one of JS Tech's boxes, but as Kramer says it may be good enough. If the plasma takes an s-video feed direct, try that as well. It may be better than processing the signal through the amp.

8. jakefraser

jakefraser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The easiest option is to get an RGB to component convertor from someone like CYP or AV-Sales. They keep the RGB quality and make it into component which your 3803 can handle. Tip: Get a good scart lead to connect the Sky+ to the convertor box, as this will make a difference as well. And obviously, change the output on the sky box to RGB from the picture menu in services.

Jake.

9. steve36

steve36

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I agree with itcosthowmuch, RGB to JSIM although adding extra boxes does improve picture quality slightly, enough for me to decide to live with the extra psu/box/cables.

That said, Liam at avsales and other people have stated that SVIDEO direct is going to provide you with an acceptable picture, especially as the 3803 will convert it to component.
    Be careful not to put the Svideo over a long cable as apparently the luminence signal in svideo is low voltage and will not carry over long runs.

Enjoy, and don't forget to use the 3803 audio delay to remedy the LIPSYNC that SKY thoughtfully adds !

Steve

10. nhk

nhk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The S-Videoe picture quality from the Sky+ upconverted by the Denon 3803 is superb. Set your Sky+ to output RGB not PAL though.

Many people blindly suggest the JS Box or some other similar device but I can tell you I have the same amp and used both setups - could hardly tell the difference.

My suggestion is as mentioned by some of the other posts - get a good quality S-Vid connection. Later if you want to try a JS Box do so, but I would suggest you try one on loan first if you can find someone to help you.

For me the undiscernable "improvement" in pic quality coupled to the fact that the JS Box needs another power outlet was not worth it.

The Denon upconvert is ver very good. The people who installed my system also did several with these converter boxes and they agreed with me that the pic quality from the Sky through the 3803 on S-Vid was first class.

Enjoy your system - you have some nice equipment.

11. cowtipper

cowtipper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    NHK i have the exact same amp and i about to take delivery of a panny 37pe30 and i am getting well confused about all the connection and the thought of having to shell out another couple of hundred squids on converters make me shiver
    but from what you say using s-video upswitching to compoonent through the 3803 is just as good i think i will have to try this and if it does work it sounds liek a cheaper alternative to a yuv converter thanks

12. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Yeah, go with Svid via a good (QED?) Svideo lead and get the 3803 to convert it up. Too much hysteria about RGB being superior. There's nothing in it.

13. cowtipper

cowtipper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i take it looking at your kit you have this solution in place
    adn you are happy with the quality

also how do you have your connections setup i am thinking of taking the following path

Sky+-->denon S-video

sony dvpns705v-->pe30 rgb scart

PS2-->denon component

what do you think about the sony ns900 as i thinking about upgrading to the 930 so i can utilise the progressive scan feature on it