1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky+ with 1 Sat Connection (but I've found some kind of splitter in the apartment...)

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by fuzzb, Aug 26, 2005.

1. fuzzb

fuzzb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone,

I've just moved into a new apartment with a communal Sky dish. The apartment has one Satellite connection so on the face of it Sky+ is out of the question. The faceplate with the 'Sat' connection also has FM and a regular TV aerial socket. These three connections are all fed by a single wire which goes into a device behind the faceplate.

I contacted the communal Sky management company and they said I couldn't get Sky+ without rewiring the whole building(!), so in short that was a no from them.

After doing a little digging, I have found a splitter of some kind in the airing cupboard that has one black coax cable going into it, and two black coax cables going out of it. The splitter is a 1 in, 4 out job but the other two outputs are blanked off. It looks something like:

[​IMG]

I'm wondering if I could do something with the splitter to enable me to get 2x sat connections? I'm guessing probably not, since I know all about the polarity issues and the Sky box sending voltages down to the LNB to switch bands and polarity, but there may be a slim chance.

Also, how can they provide FM, aerial and satellite down one cable? Could I get another faceplate with two sat connections and hook that up to the cable, or does it depend how they have configured it at the other end? I remember looking in another apartment and that had a faceplate with two sat connections on it...

2. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    You guessed correctly, you can't use it. A Sky+ box sends signals up each cable to the dish, to tell the LNB at the other end which polarity setting and which frequency range to use. That's how you watch two channels at the same time. If you use a splitter, you can't make individual changes.

Because FM, TV and satellite signals all use different frequencies, and they can be combined down one cable.

3. fuzzb

fuzzb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just as I suspected, drat! :)

I was thinking about buying a dish and erecting it just outside of my window, I wonder if its worth risking it...

Here is what the elevation looks like:

[​IMG]

If that isn't possible, how good are those portable internal dishes made for caravans?

I MUST get Sky+ at any cost (well reasonable cost anyway..)

:)

4. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    It really all depends on whether you can see the satellite from those locations. Take a look at other dishes locally and see which direction they are pointing. You can't use a dish indoors, they don't work, although they will work behind perspex and some kinds of glass.