Sky + : Why does it need a quad LNB?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by richard plumb, Jan 9, 2004.

1. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,027
    I'm curious why you need this installed.

Sky say that you can have Sky+ installed, and then use your original STB in another room. so isn't that 3 tuners? If I don't want the 2nd box (I don't ), can't you just use the normal cable?

or you can buy a mirror sub without sky+, and that doesn't need a separate install does it? And that would be 2 tuners, same as sky+

There must be something obvious I'm missing...

2. sneekyb

sneekyb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Sky+ box requires two signal feeds, two cables. They used to supply a dual lnb but replaced this when they began the multi stb offers.

3. STOWITBELOW

STOWITBELOW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    I'm not sure why they use a quad, + uses 2 feeds. I assume its in case you want more boxes etc, like they fitted duals (I think) for normal Sky - so you have spares.

4. pr1uk

pr1uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you need a quad feed because if you only had one feed it would only do horizontal or lat at one time, and Sky use both H & L signals hence you need 2 feeds.

5. sneekyb

sneekyb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    We were told that quad lnb's were gonna be used as standard because it was more cost effective to manufacture only those rather than also supplying dual lnb's.

6. wod

wod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    sky install a quad lnb , as its easier to install that, then if you want two more sky boxes then they just connect a cable to the lnb for quicker installs

7. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,027
    I can understand for a first time install, but if I already have a sky dish installed (and paid extra for a 'non-standard' install), and have no intention of using the spare box in another room for £15 per month extra, then surely the normal LNB would be enough?

If I simply wanted an extra box and a mirror sub, that doesn't seem to need an extra install?

I don't see the point of paying extra for something I might want to do in the future. If I do, then I'll pay extra then. If I could simply replace my current sky box with a +, I might be interested, but not with the cost of the install, which just seems arbitrary.

8. Doctor_AB

Doctor_AB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    you dont pay anymore for an install with a quad
    LNB compared to standard. Costs sky a bit more but opportunity for them to sell you more subs later.