Sky white card and regional settings

Olliebeak

Standard Member
Reaction score
Recently purchased a white card from sky, when I bought it I was assured by the advisor that the card would be regionalised to my postcode. When I tried it in the box it came up with the wrong region.

I spent several hours yesterday talking to sky advisors that talked me through all the different proceedures including the engineers menu, tried just about everything possible but its still on the wrong region. I dont have a phone line but sky told me I didnt need one for a white (also states same in 'term & condition').

I've tried all theses proceedures without success, anyone had the same experience? Any help greatly appreciated, thanks guys.

Last edited:
What do youe mean by the wrong region? What region are you getting on the Sky box and what regions on terrestrial analogue and Freeview? What is the start of your postcode? There are numerous cases where the two will not match each other, usually because Sky set the regions according to postcode databases set by ITV and BBC whereas terrestrial TV depends more on which transmitter your aerial is aligned on.

I purchased a White Card direct from SKY for £20, the person I spoke to said the card would be 'regionalised' to my postcode (SO45) Southampton. What I should be getting is BBC South and ITV Meridian South, what I'm actually getting is BBC1 London and ITV Central W. and no Channel 5 (also no SKY1).

I dont have freeview but BBC South & Meridian are the local stations.

Ollie

Forgot to say its a Thomson Sky box.

Last edited by a moderator:
The FreeSatFromSky web site shows the price of the card as £25, so yours must be something else.
Could you let us know more about it and how you got it?

That's OK, so we know it's a FSFS card and that it's not working properly - though they don't do Sky1.
E-mail Sky and get them to fix it without further delay.

Last edited:
That's OK, so we know it's a FSFS card and that it's not working.
E-mail Sky and get them to fix it without further delay.

I was given an email address by the Sky advisor (the 3rd one yesterday) that turned out to be a fake, lets say I was not best impressed after composing a detailed email of the chain of events. Would you happen to have a SKY email address, I cant seem to find one. Sorry to be a pain.

Ollie.

Use the Complaints form at MySky - there's also [email protected] - and add giving the false address as a further point of complaint! <error corrected in address>
No pain - and HTH - Logi.

Last edited:
I purchased a White Card direct from SKY for £20, the person I spoke to said the card would be 'regionalised' to my postcode (SO45) Southampton. What I should be getting is BBC South and ITV Meridian South, what I'm actually getting is BBC1 London and ITV Central W. and no Channel 5 (also no SKY1).

I dont have freeview but BBC South & Meridian are the local stations.

Ollie

Forgot to say its a Thomson Sky box.

In that case the box is not recognising or activating the card - those are the default regions without a card. The psossibilities are in descending order of likelihood are
1 Faulty card reader (or dirty contacts in it) in the Sky box - try inserting and removing any card (store loyalty card or business card) several times to clean contacts - viewing card number should show in sytem details if card reader can read the card
2 Activation signal not getting to card - poor alignment of dish or if it is an HD box have you set it to "single feed mode" or are you switching box off at mains and not into standby to activate
3 Faulty card

If this is a second hand box (particularly coming from a smokers home) then I would lay odds on reason 1 being the correct one.

The FreeSatFromSky web site shows the price of the card as £25, so yours must be something else.
Could you let us know more about it and how you got it?

Not necessarily there is a link where you can still only pay £20 online. It is an old link from when Sky replaced the blue cards with the latest white ones and has not been changed and still works (at least it did 2 weeks ago) charging only £20. From this page (and then click don't have a card at botttom)
https://mysky.sky.com/replacecard/get-a-card

Last edited:
1 Faulty card reader (or dirty contacts in it) in the Sky box - try inserting and removing any card (store loyalty card or business card) several times to clean contacts - viewing card number should show in sytem details if card reader can read the card

The box is reading the correct card number.

2 Activation signal not getting to card - poor alignment of dish or if it is an HD box have you set it to "single feed mode" or are you switching box off at mains and not into standby to activate

Signal strength is around 75%-80% (not HD box), is this sufficient?

3 Faulty card

Possibly?

Thanks for the suggestions.

Ollie

Use the Complaints form at MySky - there's also [email protected] - and add giving the false address as a further point of complaint!
No pain - and HTH - Logi.

Unfortunately cant send a complaint via 'MySky' as it says I'm not a customer :rolleyes:

So I sent an email to [email protected] and that was returned as;

This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification.

Delivery to the following recipients failed.

[email protected]

I dont seem to be having a lot of luck with Sky!

Ollie.

There's a dot between jeremy and darroch - try again.

:thumbsup:

Yes, I knew about that but as it says it's about replacement cards.

But it also works for getting a new card that is not a replacement.

Have you left the card in the box for any period of time? Just wondering if, since it's not even showing Channel Five, it's just missed the "refresh" signal. Sometimes have to leave the card in the box (on standby is fine) for 24-48 to catch the signal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you left the card in the box for any period of time? Just wondering if, since it's not even showing Channel Five, it's just missed the "refresh" signal. Sometimes have to leave the card in the box (on standby is fine) for 24-48 to catch the signal.

It's been in the box since last Thursday without being disconnected from the mains supply, thats about 90 hours. Just checked it today and still showing the incorrect channels.

Ollie.

It's been in the box since last Thursday without being disconnected from the mains supply, thats about 90 hours. Just checked it today and still showing the incorrect channels.

Ollie.

Have you actually phoned Sky and had the card paired to the box as per the letter the card was attached too?

Have you actually phoned Sky and had the card paired to the box as per the letter the card was attached too?

Surely you would need a land line to pair a box to the card? This is something I do not have (as discussed with the Sky advisor at time of purchase), also states in the booklet they sent me 'a phone line is not required' . There was no letter, just the card and a booklet (Your Contract).

I phoned SKY, but they say as I'm not a subscribing customer they are unable to help, they only supply the card.

Ollie.

There should be Freesat from Sky phone number on the letter, there was with my two cards letters*. You have to phone (voice) and give the box serial number and card number and maybe some other box details depending on who you speak too. Then they send out the authorisation signal. Without the authorisation your card will not work for regional channels.

*If I can find the letters when I get home I will post the phone number on here.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom