sky + which is ??

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by jonthebarber, Jan 8, 2004.

1. jonthebarber

jonthebarber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sky + box has stared to freeze on playback , as its nearly 2 years old i will replace the hard-drive . i have looked around on this forum for whats best , i don`t need massive storage , just one that is quiet and relable ! what do you all surgest and wheres the best deal ????????

jon .

2. STOWITBELOW

STOWITBELOW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    I cant give it my aproval yet (it's only just arrived) consensous seems to be - no more than 120 Gb, Maxtor or Samsung, definatly not Seagate, 5400rpm preferable (not imperative). I struggled to find anyone selling these 'slower' drives, but bought the Samsung from savastore.com. £85 inc delivery - not the cheapest advertised, but the only people stocking this spec drive. You will probably get an 80Gb drive much cheaper/easyer. Someone else may know more but dont normal sky boxes freeze - so it my not be your hard drive, I'd find out more before buying another drive for a broken box.

3. jonthebarber

jonthebarber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers for that . the other sky + box (upstairs) did it twice and was replaced under warranty the bloke said "harddrive" and changed the box ! so i am working on that fact .

4. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    I upgraded mine with a Maxtor 120GB 7200RPM fluid drive bearing drive (maybe most HDDs are FDB these days I don't know). The case runs cool, less noise than the old HDD and all in all very happy. These drives can be picked up for about £70.

5. jonthebarber

jonthebarber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    top bloke !

6. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    personally I would go for a 80Gb drive

An awful lot of people have experienced many faults, in particular the 17min bug, with 120Gb drives.

7. jonthebarber

jonthebarber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    mmmmmmmmmm spilt choice ! anybody else ????

8. jonthebarber

jonthebarber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    mmmmmmmmmm spilt choice ! anybody else ????

9. STOWITBELOW

STOWITBELOW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    I've just posted about my upgrade, I'm impressed with the Samsung drive runs cool & quiet i think its a sp1203n.

10. jonthebarber

jonthebarber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers for that , where did you get it from ?

11. STOWITBELOW

STOWITBELOW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Savastore.com I ordered a 5400 rpm drive, but when it came it was a 7200rpm disk, however prompt delivery & well packed. Rather than send it back I thought I'd try it, it seems fine. I think if you shop around you may find cheaper. I paid £85 inc post, but I thought I was getting a different drive. It seems they're all 7200rpm now. No one seems to stock the slower ones.
    Now, having done it, I'd be looking for the best price on the faster drive - 120gb are available from about £65. However some people whove fitted the Maxtor (often the cheap drives) have noticed they can be hot (the standard one I removed was red hot) My Samsung isn't & I don't think anyones posted saying theirs is. I'd certainly pay a bit more for the Samsung over a Maxtor for peace of mind. Having said that, others have no temperate issues with their Maxtor.
    If your confident the disk is faulty it's an easy & valuable upgrade IMO.