Sky - Where do i stand

ittim

Established Member
Reaction score
Okay, Here goes, cutting a long story short.

My Sky + is old and knackered (Amstrad Box)

When i told sky 2 months ago that i was leaving for NTL/Virgin they offered me a new Sky plus box. At the time I said no becuase I really wanted cheap HD off them and they wouldnt budge!

Two weeks ago i took out Sky Broadband. Its crap to be fair but its only a fiver each month.

My box has since deteriorated so I called to ask if the offer of a new box was still available. I was told i needed to speak to retentions as they were the ones who offered it originally.

Then the guys comes back on and tells me retentions won't speak to me as i've just taken out broadband and i'm now on a 12 month contract.

So in conclusion, am i on a 12 month contract for my TV again? if so should i reconnect my phone line?

and secondly since i've had broadband for only two weeks can i get it disconnected under a 'cooling off period' ?

oh and thirdly does anyone know if i can download dream team online if i cancel my sky ? :blush:

Personally I would cancel sky broadband, sighting poor service. You can then cancel sky if desired.

They may then offer you a deal or you could go to Virgin Media.

As many have found out turning down offers and then trying to get the same or similar deal through SKY is pretty mucha dead end unless you go down the same cancellation route and even then SKY are not as generous as they once were in retentions.

No penalty cancellation for broadband is 8 days so too late now unless there are fundemental performance issues. Broadband is automatically suspended if you cancel the TV service so you can cancel the TV but would be liable for penalties for the broadband service since you broke the contract.

No need to connect a phone line to a single digibox once it's out of the original 12 month contract unless required for order PPV etc and no idea about Dream Team:)

cheers guys, my other option is to buy the sky hd box i really want (£164) but i can't afford it..... i mustn't give in to the temptation :devil:

Starburst has a point about the time in which you can cancel sby broadband. However if it is *that* bad you can argue that they are not providing the under your contract.

What you do is up to you, if you cancel broadband you are then free to cancel the TV service. At present people who enter into a broadband contract seem to be being locket into their TV service for another 12 months too.

If you cancel SKYTV it is possible they'll try to keep you with an offer but then again they might not! I have no idea what the V+ service is like but I'm soon going to have it installed soon.

Also if you did get a SKY+ offer it might be a refurb and ever if its new it could be a poorer box (ie Thompson as in my case)

well i've had a think, my first port of call is to replace the hdd in my amstrad, got a maxtor 80gb lying on my desk. unpartioned so it should be quite easy to do. if that doesnt work then i may have to splash out on HD from Midsat. (seeing that im apparently in a 12 month contract again)

Interesting point though, i saw nothing to suggest i'd be in a 12 month contract with them and without sigining anything can it be leagally sound?

Interesting point though, i saw nothing to suggest i'd be in a 12 month contract with them and without sigining anything can it be leagally sound?

A verbal contract is binding. Presumably before you signed up to braodband you were made aware of the terms and conditions?

I have moved my TV from Virgin to Sky but would not be with out their 10mb soon to be 20mg broadband.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom