1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky+ What do i need?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by sarll, Oct 22, 2003.

1. sarll

sarll

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Hello

I've just brought a Sky + box off a friend for a bargain price of £70. I plan to put it in at the weekend.I already have Sky Digital in my lounge. I've spoke to Sky and they've said all I need to do is swap the viewing card from my existing box to the sky+ box and then call them......hey presto its all working!

After reading these forums i'm not convinced that'll give me the full Sky+ experience.

Do I need another cable run from my dish to box??

What is the 2nd run for exactly??? (shown in some diagrams)

I already have a 5.1 setup, and the sky+ box will be hooked up to my plasma.

Thanks for any help.....

Marcus

2. raigraphixs

raigraphixs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15,241
    Hi,

If you visit the sky+ website, theres more basic info there.

Basically, sky+ has two tuners, so it can accept two cables, so you can recieve 2 DIFFERNET siginals at the same time, which means you can say, watch something on sky one and record sky sports at the same time.

As you record, your sky planner lists everything you has recorded to the built in hard disk, and you can then watch these programmes at your leisure. Also you can pause live tv, and re-start it where you stopped it later on, etc.

So you need a quad LNB on your dish, hence the second cable goes into the sky+ box along with your existing one.

And later on sky will launch dual recording and watch a pre-recorded program of your hard disk at the same time.

rai

3. sarll

sarll

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    cheers for the reply

So basically I need an engineer to put another cable run in..? If I don't what features of SKy+ do I get?

Oh, and I need to buy a LNB thingy...

Thanks again

4. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    Without a 2nd cable you'll be able to record and do live pause but only on the channel you're watching - you won't be able to watch another channel at the same time.
    It'll basically be like a digital VCR.
    With the 2nd cable you have 2 channels available at all times and in the (near) future, you will even be able to record 2 channels simultaneously.

The engineer will provide and install the quad LNB as part of the installation.
    Should take about 10-15 mintues for the whole job (assuming it's a straight forward install).