1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky & Weather

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by s.brown, Aug 13, 2002.

1. s.brown

s.brown

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is there anything on the market that could 'boost' my Sky Digibox signal - everytime theres a storm (pretty often lately) I lose some channels & get snow on many of the others :(

2. squid

squid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The only real thing to do if it is realy bothering you is to get a bigger dish fitted.

If you look at the sig stength meater you will see that it is usualy when the sig quality gets to zero that you have the probs not so much the strength .There is'nt much i think you can do about the quality once it is past the lnb .You could fit all mater of boosters (if there is one) but this would only increas the strength and do nothing about the quality of the sig .

So a bigger dish is the only way . Unless the dish is not aligned right .It could have moved in wind or not been setup right in the first place if the problem is realy bad

3. s.brown

s.brown

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wa considering getting a motorised dish when I move house next year but I might upgrade this one for now anyway

Thanks

4. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    What are your signal strength/quality readings like in good weather?
    If they are on the low side (under two thirds) then it would indicate the dish or LNB need adjusting.

5. squid

squid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    my sig strength is only half and i don't realy sufer from problems unless the weather is realy bad . My quality is up at just above 3 quarters though .

Could be well worth calling sky out if you have had the setup under a year it won't cost anything .

What motorised system were you thinking of going for .I was thinking of getting one .Anyone know if the manual timer on sky+ would work with another satalite ?

6. dfield2000

dfield2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I get a similar problem with my sky reception. Its like an early warning device for approaching thunder storms. The picture starts to pixelate and freeze, then about ten minutes later it starts pouring down outside.

It never used to happen with my analogue dish. Its pretty frustrating after listening to how wonderful Sky digital is over analogue and then you find out that it doesn't work in the rain !!

7. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

Analogue had the advantage of pulling in a picture from weak signals, they would be full of sparklies but digital loses all picture when the signal drops below a certain threshold, it's either there or it's not.
    So your system doesn't work in the rain, mine does and so do millions of others so less see why you are having problems:)

First check your signal strength/quality readings, in clear weather they should be very high (Over 80% easily).
    That way when cloud cover (rain or snow) appears your dish/lnb can still pull in a solid signal from readings below 50%.
    Another thing to consider is how water proof your dish/lnb and cable are. Is the dish getting hit by any runoff from guttering or are the connections well sealed with water proof tape. Any water leakage into the LNB or cable will destroy a signal.

If you are losing picture in anything but freaky torrential storms then I would recommend you have the installation checked out.

8. malcom

malcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I don't have problems when there is bad weather but I do get picture freezing and loss of signal when the sun shines usually between 10am and 1 pm. Could there be a "dry joint" at one of the dish connection points in which the heat from the sun messes up the signal!!!!!!

9. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Heat has certainly been known to affect a faulty LNB but shouldn't make any difference to a dish at least not the temperatures we get in this country.
    Does this happen at 10am-1pm only when the sun shines and how do signal levels differ during that time frame and say the middle of the night.

10. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,008
    so how about if the strength meters are going up and down. We have 2 sky+ set-ups (one in my movie room of course..;)) and yet the one on the front room suffers from lose of signal quite a lot, only been happening recently and when checking the signal quality etc the gauges are moving up and down.. Any ideas before I call out an engineer..

11. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    First thing to try is swapping the two SKY+ boxes over and seeing if the fault follows the SKY+ to the other room or if it stays.
    That might give you an idea if the Quad has a weakness on one or two of it's internal LNB's or maybe a damaged cable or connection. It' not unusual for the meters to vary their readings in real time, cloud cover and temp could have an impact on them.