Sky Warranty Scam-Alive & Kicking

tofwings

Established Member
Reaction score
My In-Laws (who are both in their 80s ) Had a phone call from a someone claiming to be from Sky TV,

He informed them that the warranty had run out on their Sky HD Box (they only had it installed in August )....And demanded they pay £120.00 for continued coverage,

So my Father in -law asked "when did the warranty run out" the reply was, "he didnt know"
My father in law then asked, "when did the warranty begin"...again , the piece of filth on the other end of the phone said "i dont know"......

The caller then said, so , "are you going to pay".....
No i am not came the reply.......And my father in law was then informed that he would tell sky, that he refused to pay, and if anything went wrong with the box, that he would be liable for a £400.00 plus bill.....

Good thing i got there just as i did, I quickly told him to off....

I hate these guys guys, preying on the elderly,

If this is a known problem, my apologies, i just thought i should inform you all..

ps, trying to explain to sky (indian call center) was a bloody nightmare..

Cheers
Brian

Last edited by a moderator:
Had the same problem some months back.:mad:

I had a call on Wednesday morning, same thing. The plonker on the other end of the phone tried to engage me in conversation with 'so what programmes do you like to watch' . I said, 'if your looking at my account then you tell me', he hung up then.
These people are at the bottom of the food chain in my opinion - they prey on people and I wonder how many elderly have been caught out on this :mad:

If you were able to catch the number by CLI report it to the phone authority.
Anyway report it local trading standards.

I got a letter from Sky stating Digital Sattellite Warranty had gone bust but they would stand over arrangements for the rest of the year.

I've had these people phone on numerous occasions:mad:
When I ask them are they actually from sky they just keep saying yes we are sky services that's when I can understand them and when I say I don't think you are otherwise you would know what sky package I have they hang up. They once phoned twice within 20 minutes. Also it's always a foreigner that phones and the caller I.d on my phone comes up displaying international number.

Also it's always a foreigner that phones and the caller I.d on my phone comes up displaying international number.

Ah that might explain why ive had about 5 calls from international numbers over the last couple of days. I dont answer them as i dont know anyone abroad who would want to phone me.

I have Caller ID, but that doesn't help as these people always withhold their number.

The problem with upsetting call centres abroad is that they can so easily get their own back by calling in the middle of the night.

That's why I always answer them and tell them very politely that I'm not interested, thank you.

(No, I can't leave the phone off the hook overnight in case there's a family emergency.)

There seems no answer to this.

Surely family have your mobile number?

a) Does everybody have a mobile phone?
b) Does everybody take their mobile to bed with them?
c) Does everybody have "free minutes" ?

Yes, yes and, in an emergency, I'm not going to worry about the cost of the call!

"Hello, John, I'm afraid your daughter's been taken to hospital and would you please reimburse me 50p?"

I have Caller ID, but that doesn't help as these people always withhold their number.

The problem with upsetting call centres abroad is that they can so easily get their own back by calling in the middle of the night.

That's why I always answer them and tell them very politely that I'm not interested, thank you.

(No, I can't leave the phone off the hook overnight in case there's a family emergency.)

There seems no answer to this.

I'm not certain but I believe the current caller ID system still provides the number to the network operator just not to you. If you report the call with the exact time it was made I believe they can look it up even if withheld so you can still make a complaint or notify unrequested calls if your Telephone Preference Service registered which means it's actually illegal for them to call you I think unless you gave them permission.

Depending on your phone provider you can also block all number withheld or international incoming calls (I think they make a monthly charge for this service though) or buy one of those boxes (there was one on dragons den) that will block all withheld or international calls at your phone.

Plus Sky have repeatedly said they don't cold call about their own box warranty service which I beleive means anyone who calls about a Sky box warranty is not Sky so just ignore any such call.

Last edited:
Yes, yes and, in an emergency, I'm not going to worry about the cost of the call!

"Hello, John, I'm afraid your daughter's been taken to hospital and would you please reimburse me 50p?"

Yes
Yes
Yes
But no frigging signal. So get real. Some of us live in the real world where a mobile phone signal is intermittent and not reliable.

Some of us live in the real world where a mobile phone signal is intermittent and not reliable.

I'd forgotten about the poor coverage in the UK. Our island is hilly like Wales but more sparsely populated. However, I haven't found anywhere that I can't get a decent signal. Have you tried a different service provider? Back in the UK, I went through three till I found one that worked in the house. Until then, I had to prop the phone against the bedroom window each night.

We seem to have gone a bit off-topic, but if Logi will permit:

I am registered with the Telephone Preference Service, but I don't believe it covers calls from overseas.

BT may well be able to discover the number, but I doubt they would be prepared to unless requested by the Courts, Government Dept or whatever.

I've had calls from Domestic & General who claim to be authorised by Sky to offer warranties.

Finally, I've had to disclose my number (even though I'm ex-directory) if I want to buy anything on the Internet.

I don't think the TPS covers calls from them, as it's not a cold-call, having given them my number "voluntarily".

As I said, sometimes you just can't win. :(

Finally, I've had to disclose my number (even though I'm ex-directory) if I want to buy anything on the Internet.

This is partly true. Many delivery services refuse to accept a parcel without a number they can use to contact the recipient. It doesn't have to be an ex-directory number - just a number that the person accepting the delivery will answer. (How you organise that is up to you.)

The number is used only occasionally if the driver feels he needs to tell you that he's running late, or on his way, or requires directions.

Thanks TG and it isn't exactly a Sky question any more, but it's serious and does need airing so OK for now.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom