Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

sky+ wall socket

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Alex-22, Jun 9, 2005.

1. Alex-22

Alex-22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

my parents have finally relented to getting sky+ but I have a question. From what i've read here sky put a hole through the wall and then run the cable straight from the dish to the box. My parents would really prefer to have a socket on the wall. Whilst I know that breaking the signal is a bad idea, its this or nothing really, so what particular socket do I need for sky+ which I believe needs two connections.

A local company have quoted about £60 to put a hole in the wall and install a face plate before sky come to fit the dish, which seems reasonable, I assume the sky installer will then simply connect the cable from outside to the back of the socket. Will they provide a cable from the socket to the box, or will I need to buy this, and if so what sort of cable am I looking for?

Many thanks for any help

Alex

2. Bluevanman

Bluevanman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The installer may or may not connect to the wall socket for you. It depends on who turns up. He is under no obligation to do it.

3. Parklife

Parklife

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    £60 to put a scoket on the wall.....bit pricey if you ask me. All you need to do is get a socket with 2 f-connectors on adn fix into wall. Obviously the ideal route is to not break the signal at any point.

How about just fixing a face plate with 2 holes in it to the wall and pass the cable straight through this?

4. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    The £60 probably includes a "call out fee" or travel charge. Sky co-ax is a little unwieldy, so I can understand why they want the box. I'm having multi-room installed very soon, and I'm going to get the installer to leave a couple of metres of cable inside the room, then I'll fit a box at my leisure. The boxes only cost a few quid, and don't need too many special skills to fit.

5. vex

vex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    I would go down to B&Q and get a surface mount back box and F type face plate and then offer the sky installer an extra £20 or so cash to do the install using it.

I'm sure he would be ammenable for a few additional beer tokens.

6. jont

jont

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +551
    Can you not just pass the co-ax through the hole in the faceplate and then screw/grabs like nails the faceplate to the wall ... gives the same effect but without breaking the coax run ??

That's what I did for neatness ...

Jon