Sky wall plates..bad idea?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Stereo Steve, Dec 3, 2003.

1. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I'm currently cabling up my new house and have got to the point of installing the Sky cables. What I normally do is leave the cable hanging from the wall but for various reasons, this is not practical here so I'm looking at installing the cable into standard wall boxes and making my own double faceplate 'F' connector sockets.

Will I lose much signal from this? I currently have a very temporary setup with cheap coax hanging out the window to my dish (don't ask) and it seems to work fine.

Just how sensitive is the Sky signal to joints? I see Satcure sell the faceplates so they must think they are OK.

2. SimonO

SimonO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Avoid joints if you can... I have drilled holes in a blank faceplate and run the cables directly to the equipment...

3. plusman

plusman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Be careful if you plan to upgrade to Sky+. It takes 2 outputs from the LNB to 2 inputs on the Sky+ box (for dual recording, etc.). I originally installed a nice brushed chrome wallplate with 1 normal coax (TV-aerial) connector and 1 F-type connector for Sky. Picture quality was fine. I had to replace this with a plastic "Clipsal" connector (which enables you to choose which "sockets" you want on the wallplate) to get 2 X F-type connectors and 1 X normal coax connector on the wallplate. I have not yet found a decent (e.g. not plastic) single-gang wall plate that can handle all 3 connectors. Using a wallplate does make it a lot neater. I've not foudn any significant (i.e. noticable) loss in picture quality.

So if you are thinking about it, plan ahead for Sky+.

4. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Thanks for your comments. I have Sky+ already so was already thinking of a DIY faceplate with barrel type connectors. THe plate will be out of site so appearence is not important. I'm actually swaying towards leaving the cable hanging. It does cause some problems but they are not insurmountable.

5. Grumblemag

Grumblemag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have done this for Sky +, and have seen no drop out in digital image - I have had to use F' Type and RF combi faceplates as I could not find F' type.

If someone does flog dual F' type then I would like to know where to get them from.

6. Dave777

Dave777

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    www.cpc.co.uk sell them quite cheaply. In fact they are very good for all this sort of stuff!!

Cheers

Dave

7. plusman

plusman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I purchased mine from www.simplyautomate.com. The Clipsal range has the advantage of enabling you to pick and choose the connections you want. the disadvantage is that the faceplate is only in plastic (not metal).

8. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Usual advice is by all means fit a cosmetic wall plate, but feed SKY cable through in a continuous run without any joins, directly to digibox. :cool:

9. haf

haf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys

The electricians just finished working in my house after 3 days of dust & noise and he was running cabling for my sky + & mirrored sub each with dual faceplate ( 1 tv aerial & 1 sky connector )

After seeing plusman's comments regarding faceplates & cabling, am I missing something:suicide: like an additional cable run from dish to sky + box !

Henry:confused:

10. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Er, you should have 2 coax cables or a shotgun cable for Sky+. You need 2 seperate Sky signal outlets. Maybe the TV one is attatched to the dish as well?

Oops.

11. haf

haf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thx for reply Steve

Sky+ has not been installed yet ( Wednesday )

There are only 2 cables both black on the outside wall for the dish. Am I right in thinking there should be 3 ? (2 for sky+ & 1 for mirrored sub which is standard digital) or do I just need a faceplate with 3 connectors ie 1 co-ax & 2 f type

The Tv cable white is connected to a booster & was there already

What is a shotgun cable? Sorry for all the questions, not very good at this ! presumed the electrician knew what he was doing

Thx again

Henry

12. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Henry,

You should have 3 cables from the LNB (the bit on the end of the dish arm). Two for Sky+ and one for the mirror box. This would mean having a quad LNB (with 4 outputs). Your's may be a dual LNB (with 2).

A shotgun cable is basically 2 cables joined together so that the cross section looks like the barrels of a double-barrelled shotgun. This is not neccesarry for sky+ but often makes a neater job. Two ordinary sat cables is fine.

Hope this helps and I hope you don't have too much trouble installing another cable.