Sky W/Screen & DD5.1

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by RichardJ, May 6, 2003.

1. RichardJ

RichardJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Sky has revealed that from June 3 all Sky Movies channels, Sky One and Sky One Mix 'will be able to broadcast 16:9 widescreen programming.' What this rather ambiguous phrase amounts to is that Sky Movies will show around 280 different films in widescreen, including approximately 20 new titles every month. Widescreen premieres for June are set to include Heist, Ali, Behind Enemy Lines, Moulin Rouge as well as classics Carlito's Way and the original Planet of the Apes.

Home cinema fans can also rejoice in the fact that again from June 3 Sky will make Dolby Digital 5.1 available for films on Sky Movies Premier 1, 2 and 3. With around 130 different titles every month on these channels, this should give people with home cinema systems and Sky+ boxes (which have the necessary 5.1 digital audio output) loads more 5.1 fodder than is currently being shown.

The situation with regards to Sky One and Sky One Mix is a little more vague, with Sky just confirming that widescreen is being introduced on Sky One and Sky One Mix and that 'details of widescreen programming will be announced nearer to the transmission dates'.

Another bit of good news if you hadn't already spotted it is that Sky has started making it clear on its EPG which movies are being shown in Dolby Digital 5.1 – just look out for the letters 'DD' in a movie's information panel.

2. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    Interesting to see if they show all 2.35:1 films in their OAR.
    I know when I used to subscribe they did show them on Sky Prem WS in OAR. But now that it's going 'mainstream' I fear they may crop them to 16:9.

I hope not.

3. Ridcully

Ridcully

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Yep. emailed Sky about this very point. from there replies it look to be a continuation of the current premier widescreen situation of 'tune in and see which version we bought'. Most are likely to be 1.85 with the odd 2.35.:thumbsdow

4. Bogside

Bogside

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +383
    I'm an NTL subscriber rather than Sky. Does anyone know if these changes will be implemented on NTL? I'm especially interested in the 5.1 sound.

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Sorry to disappoint, but NTL just don't have the kit, and have no money to invest in it.

6. Bogside

Bogside

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +383
    Yeah. I though their money problems would be an issue. But they keep promising to improve digital tv services and this would appear to be an excellent opportunity. I think their churn rate is about 16% (compared to sky's 8 or 9%) so surely they have to wise up soon.

7. philinman

philinman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    will the sony box with optical give me 5.1 on the films (not sky +)

8. shawkins002

shawkins002
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    No - only the Sky + box transmits in Dolby 5.1. You can only get Pro-Logic via the digital output on the Sony box - but I think Sky disabled the ability to transmit 5.1 on the Sony, partly so more people would pay the £10 a month Sky + fee.

9. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This seems to have gone for a can of worms just lately as well. I check the Premier WS banner to see if a film is in 5.1 and it says DS. Switch to the channel and the film is in fact broadcast in DD.
    The same is happening with the Box Office channels as well - if you went by the banner, no films are in DD, all in DS.
    I just don't fancy paying £3.50 a time just to find out wether the banner is lieing or not...