Sky V's Virgin V's terrestrial and HD

Evolucion

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, back again......

Please feel free to move if i've put it in the wrong place!

Trust me please although I refraim from commenting, I visit this forum regularly, I use it for help, guidance and information, for which I am eternally grateful.

For what I am asking, I have extensively searched before you feel obliged to mention it.......

Sky have really p1533D me off today. We HAD a sky Q package running on Virgin broadband (skys was too slow in our rural location), running in 4 rooms and the kitchen/summer lounge where the wife would relax in the afternoons would continuously lose signal from Sky Q. Engineers visited, changed hardware, cables, LNB, etc, etc. It didnt last, so eventually we called sky and they suggested the new stream..... Smart arse sales guy didnt tell us no recording, limited channels.....and apparently you canot record or save either (which the wife likes to do). So we wanted to keep SKY Q in the cinema room, so therefore, New 18 month contract, new prices (more than we we were paying for the same service) and we cannot have 2 products.........it's one or the other.....

So today I looked at Virgin, and all mini boxes must be hard wired apparently...🤷‍♀️Our house is 19m long, and its impossible to cable all Tv's with Cat5.

Does there exist a solution where each smart TV can be connected to a 'cloud drive' to record, to your 'Onedrive' for example, and have all the channels you want to view streamed over Broadband instantly, like freeview?. This way it could be used on multiple Tv's (we would like it in 7 rooms in our house if possible). I cannot believe today that I cannot find a product to do this (perhaps i do not know what to search for?). I have no room in our server cabinet nor the desire to cut holes in our polished plaster walls to run Cat5 cables everywhere.

To summarise, all we are asking for is TV over Wifi and recording facility via Cloud accessible by all Tv'S....

The question to all you clever folk out there, is how can I acheive this? or do i need to fund a new enterprise to make this happen?

Thanks in advance!

Please feel free to move if i've put it in the wrong place!

Trust me please although I refraim from commenting, I visit this forum regularly, I use it for help, guidance and information, for which I am eternally grateful.

For what I am asking, I have extensively searched before you feel obliged to mention it.......

Sky have really p1533D me off today. We HAD a sky Q package running on Virgin broadband (skys was too slow in our rural location), running in 4 rooms and the kitchen/summer lounge where the wife would relax in the afternoons would continuously lose signal from Sky Q. Engineers visited, changed hardware, cables, LNB, etc, etc. It didnt last, so eventually we called sky and they suggested the new stream..... Smart arse sales guy didnt tell us no recording, limited channels.....and apparently you canot record or save either (which the wife likes to do). So we wanted to keep SKY Q in the cinema room, so therefore, New 18 month contract, new prices (more than we we were paying for the same service) and we cannot have 2 products.........it's one or the other.....

So today I looked at Virgin, and all mini boxes must be hard wired apparently...🤷‍♀️Our house is 19m long, and its impossible to cable all Tv's with Cat5.

Does there exist a solution where each smart TV can be connected to a 'cloud drive' to record, to your 'Onedrive' for example, and have all the channels you want to view streamed over Broadband instantly, like freeview?. This way it could be used on multiple Tv's (we would like it in 7 rooms in our house if possible). I cannot believe today that I cannot find a product to do this (perhaps i do not know what to search for?). I have no room in our server cabinet nor the desire to cut holes in our polished plaster walls to run Cat5 cables everywhere.

To summarise, all we are asking for is TV over Wifi and recording facility via Cloud accessible by all Tv'S....

The question to all you clever folk out there, is how can I acheive this? or do i need to fund a new enterprise to make this happen?

Thanks in advance!
It's seems it's worse than you thought from what I've read on the Virgin media forum it's not a matter of just cat5 all the boxes have to be hardwired with coaxial cable which is a hell of a job

Sky have really p1533D me off today.
I never got beyond page 1527 addendum B. :rolleyes:

Or was you trying to circumvent the swear word filter and meant pissed. :laugh:

So you can do this whole wireless and you own storage with Freeview you need a HDHome run, that does need to be hardwired and connected to you TV aerial.

All your TVs will need a firestick/Google TV type Donegal and you can then connect to the homerun using an app. You can then set up a server with storage and use as a DVR. An app like Channels charge a monthly sub for the DVR portion and it's really slick and you can even access it on mobile and tablets while at home.

You just aren't going to get this solution for sky or Virgin as they are closed ecosystems.

For Virgin each box needs to be conevted via coax, that can run this along skirting boards but honestly I have no idea if they can supply 7 TVs, when I used to have two boxes and broadband the box furthest from the Virgin outlet used to often have some channels.

Secondly if you want on demand content from those boxes they also need a connection to the internet, the box or self didn't have wireless so needs to be plugged in via an ethernet cable.

So you can do this whole wireless and you own storage with Freeview you need a HDHome run, that does need to be hardwired and connected to you TV aerial.

All your TVs will need a firestick/Google TV type Donegal and you can then connect to the homerun using an app. You can then set up a server with storage and use as a DVR. An app like Channels charge a monthly sub for the DVR portion and it's really slick and you can even access it on mobile and tablets while at home.

You just aren't going to get this solution for sky or Virgin as they are closed ecosystems.

For Virgin each box needs to be conevted via coax, that can run this along skirting boards but honestly I have no idea if they can supply 7 TVs, when I used to have two boxes and broadband the box furthest from the Virgin outlet used to often have some channels.

Secondly if you want on demand content from those boxes they also need a connection to the internet, the box or self didn't have wireless so needs to be plugged in via an ethernet cable.
Thank you so much for this, makes a lot of sense. only problem is, is that we do not have a TV aerial. is there a work around solution? Btw, i really appreciate you taking the time to consider and reply to me, it means a lot! Scot

Thank you so much for this, makes a lot of sense. only problem is, is that we do not have a TV aerial. is there a work around solution? Btw, i really appreciate you taking the time to consider and reply to me, it means a lot! Scot
It’s probably worth paying for an aerial to be installed unless you can’t have one. It wouldn’t be that expensive. I knew someone who had a set up similar to how @zantarous explained. This was before apps were a thing. It sounded like hard work setting it all up but I guess if you’re keen it’s worth the effort.

I don't have a very good external aerial myself so I bought an indoor one and stuck it up against a wall. It isn't perfect and can be a bit glitchy but it does the job. As said above worth paying for a proper aerial if you have that many TVs in order to stream Freeview around, if I wasn't renting I would definitely pay for one.

However the one flaw here is that HDHomerun has a max of 4 tuners not sure if you can have multiple tuners on a network.

I don't have a very good external aerial myself so I bought an indoor one and stuck it up against a wall.
Why on earth did you think that would be better?

Like saying my Rolls Royce won't run on 2 * petrol so I tried parafin.

Get a proper aerial installed.

If you are offering to pay and install it I am all for for it :thumbsup:

Perhaps you also in my reply that I am renting so it is not my place to install one.
If I spent all that money on equipment the cost of an aerial is peanuts. Why do you think it is up to your landlord to provide an aerial?

If I spent all that money on equipment the cost of an aerial is peanuts. Why do you think it is up to your landlord to provide an aerial?
What is the matter with you, where did I say I asked my landlord for an aerial? Why are you so concerned if I have an aerial or not?

What is the matter with you, where did I say I asked my landlord for an aerial? Why are you so concerned if I have an aerial or not?
Only trying to help.
You said : "I don't have a very good external aerial myself so I bought an indoor one and stuck it up against a wall. It isn't perfect and can be a bit glitchy but it does the job. As said above worth paying for a proper aerial if you have that many TVs in order to stream Freeview around, if I wasn't renting I would definitely pay for one."

I said:
"Why on earth did you think that would be better?

Like saying my Rolls Royce won't run on 2 * petrol so I tried parafin.

Get a proper aerial installed."

That still applies if you want decent reception on all that expensive gear you have bought.

If you don't want an aerial, but you had Sky Q, all of the main free to air channels and many more are free to air on satellite.

Recording won't work on your old Sky Q box, but free to air boxes are widely available, or I use a satellite card into a PC and use that to record and save the programmes onto my network.

@evolution, there is a possible solution to your Sky problem with Sky Q. Our Internet was lousy until we were fitted with FTTP. While it was lousy, we'd lose the signal to the Sky Mini. So I got a pair of powerline adapters and they worked perfectly well in place of the flaky WiFi.

If you got powerline adapters and they worked, then you'd have no problem with Sky Q.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom