Sky vs NTL

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by phenom2003, Jul 3, 2003.

1. phenom2003

phenom2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I currently have an NTL family pack, phone and 600k broadband from NTL, however with the lack of interactivity and poorer value for money compared to Sky I wish to change the digital television service.

My question is if I can keep NTL BB and phone line, but take out a sky subscription?

If I cannot can somebody recommend good, cheap (sub £30/m) a phone and BB supplier

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Of course you can cancel the TV service if you only want the phone and broadband packages, you do use a standalone cable modem?
    I've got a NTL CM and SKY Digital and BT for the phone connection, NTL realised a while back that by forcing people to take the phone or TV service if they wanted a CM was losing them potential customers.

Once you ring NTL to cancel listen to any offers they make to keep your custom, you might get a bargain:)

3. phenom2003

phenom2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply Starburst.

One more thing I forget earlier. On sky how much does an extra box cost? I'm paying £30/m for two extra boxes, but now only need one. How much will this cost and where can I buy them.

Thanks,
    Richard

4. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    SKY sell the extra digiboxes but by default supply "miniboxes" which are cheaper cut down versions (One scart & No RGB or twin phonos), they cost £99 or you can request a full spec digibox for £169-£229 ish. You can of course go to an independent dealer and sort yourself out with a digibox of choice with installation, SKY normally always works out cheaper but not always as flexible.
    A second digibox running from a single dish requires a different LNB so it's not just a matter of daisy chaining a second digibox or just splitting the single cable. There is a physical alteration to the dish and if you can get all the jobs done in one visit the better it will be.

If you require a second subscription then SKY charge £15 a month and it carries the same channels as your original package but for security both digiboxes need to be connected to the same working phone line (Prevents cheap smartcards from being sold or given to friends).

Visit the SKY website and have a look at their online ordering offers and packages and see which if any suit your needs.

5. 50/50

50/50
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You might be lucky, When I got sky digital Free veiw I just paid £120(becuase I have an existing contract) and they came and installed the brand new pace box (not the minibox, the real digibox).

I was very pleased when I found it retails at about £200!
    And the Quad LNB cost about £60

It will all be mine in 1 year...