Sky vs NTL digital

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by ensyed, Aug 28, 2003.

1. ensyed

ensyed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am new to the UK and have a choice of NTL digital or Sky. Which one would you recommend and why?
    I am planning on buying a plasma screen TV (Panny PWD5 42 inch)
    THanks

Rummy

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    This will be fun:)

NTL, good phone and internet services but digital TV is it's weakness, some franchise areas still using analogue TV.
    Some good promo offers for new customers atm and hardware is loaned so all repair/maintenance is covered by your subscription.

SKY, they only do digital TV and quite frankly lead the way both in terms of hardware and channel lineups. They still carry more exclusive content than NTL and there are more TV and Radio channels on satellite that can be picked up free of charge.
    Hardware is generally subsidised as long as you agree to hook it up to a phone connection for 1 year and is your property so if and when you cancel you can sell it or use for the free channels.
    Down side is that the hardware only comes with a UK standard 1 year warranty so after that you are expected to cover repair costs.

Picture quality for both platforms is broadly similar (Personal opinion after having both digital platforms is that SKY is better).
    A SKY installation has to be good as it can be suceptable to heavy rain/snow falls which degrades the signal from the satellite and can result in a loss of signal. NTL STB's have an integrated cable modem unlike the SKY STB's which rely on a standard 56k modem but SKY's interactive/shopping/gaming services are more advanced than NTL's.

I would stop by the Plasma forum and makes some enquires about the performance of digital broadcasts when using a plasma display. You should get some first hand information which will probably prove more valuable than this:)

3. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I take it you've already checked with NTL for coverage?

NTL have as Starburst says, 1st class internet. 1Mbit is wonderful, telewest now have 2Mbit, only a matter of time for NTL to do the same. Phones are cheap, digital picture not up to sky standards, but no dish, cheap intro offers etc. How big is your TV and will you notice?

4. Noodle

Noodle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    With NTL, you can rearrange all of the channels into the order you want them to be. With SKY, you can only do so with 20 channels.

You don't get pestered by the 'Red dot' with NTL.

I swapped from NTL because I wanted SKY+. If that's not something that interests you then the decision between the 2 is much more difficult.

5. Maninblack

Maninblack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    You do get bothered by it now! SInce the latest update.

6. PhilipVass

PhilipVass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    NTL are the worst digital platform out!...have you looked at DTT (Freeview + TopUpTV)...may also be an alternative, if not Sky is the better of them.

7. drummerjohn

drummerjohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    Personally I think the picture quality of NTL isnt as good as Sky.

8. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    I could be rather damming of NTL as I've been with the company since the very beginning (and TeleCentral before NTL was born) but that might seem like sour grapes, NTL Analogue was OK compared with an iffy TV aerial feed, NTL digital was also OK at the beginning but NTL admin is total and utter :censored: they will never be able to sort out any payment or picture qulaity issue. many of my colleagues went to NTL as trainers and technical experts (money talked at the time), they almost all now have come back saying the stress of working at NTL is just too much.......The NTL digital picture (most of it comes via a DTT feed where possible) is now far worse than SKY as the bit rate is roughly half on most channels, on a big plasma it will look horrid without expensive scaling help......NTL broadband is very good though and it sounds as if they have the brainier people working in admin on that one...... ;) SKY picture is a fair bit better across the board but their admin is only just better than NTL's (i.e. they haven't cocked my service up yet), reliabilty of either service is about the same and nothing to write home about but a well setup SKY install has less "blank screen" type issues at present.

So in summary, keep your BT phone (and get one of their deals on cheap calls), get NTL broadband (750k for 600k money very soon), and get SKY+ (now that really is clever), if you want to know the cost of the full Sky package its £40/month...NTL is dearer (£47.50 last time I looked) as you have to pay for a phone line as well and just you try to get it without one.... As you will have to pay for either service for at least a year choose wisely... :lesson:

9. Docta teef

Docta teef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Ive got ntl but plan to swap to sky+, i tend to find the system locks up a lot and i have to turn it off to reset

10. Wannabe-THX

Wannabe-THX
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have NTL boardband and telephone package, and had the tv package. I came away from it a while ago now, because I felt I was going to get a better deal with Sky.

When NTL asked what package I was going to, they said that they could understand it.

Fish