'Sky +' vs 'HDD DVD Recorder'

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by iCEMAN87, Jul 6, 2004.

1. iCEMAN87

iCEMAN87

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Might be a silly question but here goes:

Most of the things I want to record would come from a Sky TV source (i.e. sky sports/sky 1/movie channels/etc).

Would it make more sense to use a normal (i.e. Not Sky Plus) Sky box and a seperate DVD player with HDD record function (such as Pana E85) to record to,

or,

Buy a normal DVD player (for upgrade sake) and get Sky + ... ?

I'm not informed enough to know what the advantages of each option are (other than the obvious - i.e. Sky+ series function/etc), so any help would be much appreciated.

Seems pointelss to spend on a DVD+HDD recorder that is only going to be recording Sky programs (except for maybe storing MP3s) when Sky+ has it all in one package..

Any views (i'm preparing to be flamed!!)

Cheers in advance..

iCE.

2. CLH

CLH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    In the Summer it does but if you're recording a tonne of stuff just get both.

It IS worth it!!

3. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,773
    Iceman - nobody here is going to flame you for raising such a sensible point. Many people look to DVD recorders simply following the assumption that as DVD-Video replaced pre-recorded VHS then recordable DVD must replace VCRs. That is totally incorrect and I believe many people would be very happy with standalone HDD recorders such as Sky+ or DVB Twins (such as the Pace model). Frankly I think the forum admins could do alot worse than unify this forum with the "Sky+, TivO and PVR" forum.

HDD/DVDR combos exist because they offer the easiest way to address the two problems associated with recordable DVDs:
    - firstly the fact the capacity of DVDRs is to small and
    - secondly to make them compatible with other DVD players they need to be recorded in the linear, unedittable 'Video' file format.
    HDD solve both problems by letting you record to the HDD in at the highest allowable DVD bitrate (or higher in the case of some machines!), edit (etc) and dub to DVD-R in Video mode. The fact such machines can also do 'Live Pause' and 'chasing playback' is rather more of a bonus.

Sky+ is as user-friendly as you can get - and cheaper than a HDD/DVDR as well. It has an EPG to select and record programmes, live pause etc etc. If you just want to timeshift it is ideal. Most people on this board (including me) have Sky+ and wouldn't be parted from it.

If you only ever record to timeshift then get Sky+. If you do want to record programmes to edit and keep then get a HDD/DVDR (unless you want to go down the PC/standalone DVDR route) first - as you can't do this with Sky+ alone whilst you do still get live pause/chasing playback with such a machine. Preferably though get both (as most here have done).

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,773
    Do any of the current HDD/DVDRs allow you to store MP3s on the HDD? AFAIK the answer is no - unless you research into a machine has told you otherwise?

5. iCEMAN87

iCEMAN87

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Haven't got a clue to be honest, I just assumed that you would be able to do that? So you could copy a load of MP3's off a DVDR/CDR onto the HDD and play them back once the DVD/CD had been removed. Is this not the case (with, say, a Pana E85)?

iCE.

6. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,773
    Afraid not - that sort of thing is limited to the music server products currently available (normally £1000+). It is probably a feature that will be added soon - but nothing on the immediate horizon yet.

7. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Lytham St Annes, where people are put out to grass
    Ratings:
    +2
    Tosh RDXS32 allows you to play MP3s, assume no copying

8. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,125
    It's worth noting also that a Sky+ recording will get rid of that stupid red dot, therefore your resulting DVD recordings from Sky+ will look better (and be far less annoying!!)