• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Sky volume quiet through amp

Slider09

Hi

I have my Sky+HD box connected to the SAT optical input on my Sony STR-DG820. I also have an optical cable from my TV's optical output into the TV input on the amp.

On a non DD5.1 sound track, the volume via the SAT input it considerably quieter and duller than the TV input. As an example, I was watching a film and kept switching between the TV and SAT inputs on the amp. When it went from TV to SAT, I had to turn up the volume to get the same level of dialog. Even then, when the dialog was about the same, the effects from the rear speakers was nowhere near as loud as the TV input. On the TV input I would hear rushing water (was watching "Deep Blue Sea") from the rear speakers, when I selected the SAT input and increased the volume so the dialog was the same, I could bearly hear the water from the rear speakers.

PSM1

Distinguished Member
Can you set the levels for each input. I know when I first had my bluray player it was much quieter than the Sky box. A quick tweak on the input level within the amp menus got them to be the same.

Slider09

Can you set the levels for each input. I know when I first had my bluray player it was much quieter than the Sky box. A quick tweak on the input level within the amp menus got them to be the same.

I don't think the STR-DG820 has this feature

Mark.Yudkin

Distinguished Member
Very few TV's offer surround sound processing, and your Samsung LE40M87BDX is not one of these. As a result, the sound from your rear speakers is being simulated by the receiver, and the sea you can here is a result of the receiver's creativity. Receviers typically create rather high levels for simulated surround.

By contrast, the Sky broadcast may well have been 5.1, meaning that the level of the water movement in the rear speaker is that of the broadcast, where ambience is the target, not attention grabbing.

deckingman

This is a Sky HD problem - not an Amp problem. It began with the new EPG. You'll also notice that the TV volume is lower when showing Sky programmes, than when showing terrestrial. So it applies to both the optical output and the "normal" HDMI output. Currently, with the new EPG there is now no way of adjusting the volume from the Sky box - hopefully Sky will fix this soon. If you take a look in the Sky forums, you'll see that there are an awful lot of people complaining about this issue.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom