Sky+ video to Denon AVR3803

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Jeff D, Oct 23, 2003.

1. Jeff D

Jeff D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I've got an Hitachi 42PMA400E plasma screen and a new Sky+ box and I am waiting delivery of a Denon DVD2900 & AVR3803.
    The Sky+ box has an RGB scart output and S video (forget composite). The AVR has 2 component inputs and 1 S video. I'll be using one component input from the DVD (essential for progressive scan) but I don't think I can use the second for Sky+ without some expensive transcoder.
    The AVR has a built in upconverter to provide component output from S video (and composite).
    Does anyone know what will give me the best picture quality?:
    A method using the RGB scart in some way to convert to component? or
    Use an S video connector between the two and rely on a decent conversion from the AVR?
    The audio side is no problem with an optical cable connection to give me Dolby 5.1.
    I'm sure a lot of people have the same problem. Any help and advice would be gratefully received.

2. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    dont have a 3803 myself yet. but it will only give you s-video quailty through the component output.

so i think the answer is a rgb to yuv converter( john sim for best results) i use one into my iscan ultra.

no cheap way around it:( :( :(

3. Jeff D

Jeff D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Sorry I've been a while getting back.
    Thanks for the advice. The John Sim converter looks the best. There is a cheaper converter from Keene Electronics for £89.99 which may do the trick but I suppose it's not worth cutting corners when the rest of the system is up together.
    Thanks again.