Sky+ via S-Video to Panny PW3 problem

Jonmurgie

Established Member
Reaction score
Having picked up a nice (but old) Panasonic PW3 Plasma yesterday I wanted to just get my Sky+ running though it with S-Video for the short term. It will eventually be running through my Yam 757 amp but not for a few weeks.

So I plug the S-Video into the PW3 and get a picture no problem, only the picture is stretched upwards quite a lot, so much that the channel branding and half of the 'info' screen at the botom are cut off. Having read through the PW3 manual and playing with the handful of buttons on the remote it seems the aspect ratio is all wrong. It's showing me that it's set to ZOOM, fine I thought and a simple fix... nope :(

Basically the PW3 won't scroll through the aspect settings at all, seems stuck on ZOOM with the Sky+ through S-Video.

Just to check it wasn't a fault with the set I plumbed in my DVD player (Pioneer 575) through the S-Video input and that was fine, I could scroll through the aspect ratio's fine... I also checked the component input with the DVD and that was also fine.

So it seems that there's an issue with the Sky+ through S-Video into my set... anyone had something similar or have any sugestions?

Reading the PW3 manual it mentions this about S-Video input:

The S-VIDEO terminal on this set can detect specially encoded signals that are compatible with a wide screen
monitor. When a full image from the S-VIDEO terminal of specially encoded video is detected by the set, the screen
size is automatically set to 16:9 mode.

Any ideas?!

Hmmm... just been having a play with it and I can get the picture looking right by adjusting the 'Vertical Size' of the picutre in the panel settings, but this just seems wrong?!

My Sky+ runs via SVideo to my PW3. Works just fine. I manually alter aspect ratio fr0m 16/9 to 4/3 depending on channel

I don`t think you can automatically switch to the correct ratio using super video m8, rgb scart maybe.

Cheers guys...

Have checked the Sky+ output and that's on 16:9...

tonyprince - the problem I have is it automatically chooses zoom and doesn't let me change the aspect ratio, pressing the button just keeps zoom on there, unlike when the DVD is pluged in via s-video

tis a strange one this... :(

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom