1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sky via htpc on plasma.

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by plop211, Mar 15, 2005.

1. plop211

plop211
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys, I've been using MCE2005 for a while now and it's working really well but i've just gotten a nice new panasonic PW7 and if i put the resolution to that of the panel (852*480) which is a widescreen resolution i get hooge black bars down the sides of the screen, i've checked and the sky box is set to 16*9 and i couldn't see any other settings on it. I've currently got it running at 800*600 which looks ok to me but i'd prefer to run it at the native res if possible.

Anyone else ran into a similar problem?

Thanks
    Colin.

2. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I cant help much but 800x600 is a 4:3 ratio, ie normal not widescreenn! The fact that it "looks ok" confirms this. How have you connected the sky box to the PC? Since a recent upgrade I believe you can have different ratio's on each RF output.

Dave

3. sniffer66

sniffer66

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,278
    How are you getting the sky scart RGB output into your PC ?

4. plop211

plop211
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the responses and sorry for the lack of detail. At the moment i'm using composite out on the sky box into a PVR250 in my shuttle. I was thinking of getting the Js-tech RGB to svideo converter but £80 odd seems a lot to convert one signal, or maybe i'm just tight :)

I realise that 800*600 is a 4:3 signal but i can only imagine that it's being output as an anmaphoric signal and being compressed down by the plasma as the picture looks ok i.e. square things are square and it doesn't look compressed.

I was hoping someone had a similar setup and i was just doing something stupid. Can't be that uncommon a setup.

Thanks
    Colin

5. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A cheaper option would be to buy a Grundig Digibox with s-video output. These should be dirt cheap these days. The 2000 and 3000 are the best looking, IMHO

Is it possible that the PVR250 has an input setting that needs changiing to either anamorphic or 16:9 w/s?

Dave

6. plop211

plop211
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ta for the tip on the grundig boxes, i'll have a look on ebay to see whats available.

Don't think there is anyway to change the settings for aspect ration other than directly in MCE which i've set to 16*9, i'll have another check though tonight when i'm home.

Ta
    Colin.

7. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +337
    I might have got the wrong end of the stick here, but if you are watching live tv through MCE2005 you can press the i button on the remote and go to zoom, you should then have three options, one of them will sort out the black bars...
    lisa

8. plop211

plop211
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do you mean on the MCE remote as i don't have a i button, i do on my sky remote but that just shows the program info. Think it's me that's missing the obvious here lisa, can't be that hard a thing to achieve.

I've left it 800*600 for now as it's livable and doesnt look too bad for now but wouldn't mind running it at the native resolution.

Thanks
    Colin.

9. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    or consider a second hand Sky+ box or an RGB capture card like the seewtspot, not sure if it is MCE compatible

10. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +337
    Hi Colin,

I have the Microsoft MCE remote and the i button is a little to the right and up of the ok button, just below skip.....? I press it when watching tv or films and it gives you three aspect ratios to choose from, I use it quite a lot as I watch a lot of Divx/Xvid stuff that is all in different ratio formats.... hope you find it....!

11. plop211

plop211
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just thought i'd resurect this thread to say thanks lisa, it was as obvious as you had stated. I'd noticed the zoom option on playing back divx movies but never while watching tv. I then realised it doesn't actually give you the option unless your watching using a widescreen res or a res which is a different aspect ration from the content.

Thanks
    Colin.