Sky+ versus freesat +

gadusmorhua

Standard Member
Reaction score
My mother currently has an old telly, and an even older aerial hanging off her chimney, and I'd like to sort out satellite tv for her. As she still uses an old vhs recorder I am thinking the way to go is either Sky+, or a freesat+ box. As far as I can tell the cheapest Sky+ subscription is £20 a month, but really she is only interested in the standard tv channels she gets with her freeview box.
What is the cost of a good, reliable (recommendations gratefully received) freesat + box, and how much would you expect to pay to have a dish installed, and the system set up? You've probably gathered I know little of such things, so your help is particularily valuable to me!
Thanks,
Gads

Freesat+ PVRs (recorder with hard drive) are HD and, therefore, are more expensive (certainly than a Freeview+ PVR)
Check the range here Digital TV Recorder - HD Recorders - HD PVR - freesat but also have a look in the PVR and Freesat sections in this forum.

A lot of retailers will arrange the install of a dish when buying the receiver for around £80-ish

Hi. Why not fix the aerial and replace the current "freeview box" with a Freeview+ receiver and recorder? Freeview+
These cost less, as fernandez says, and would be less hassle, but here are the Freesat details: Freesat

Last edited:
I am seriously considering of freesat as sky is too expensive. any suggestions here on the freesat box would be appreciated.

I am seriously considering of freesat as sky is too expensive. any suggestions here on the freesat box would be appreciated.

Recording twin tuner pvr Humax Foxsat-hdr, non recording single tuner Humax Foxsat-HD. Currently no SD pvr's.

any suggestions here on the freesat box would be appreciated.
The Freesat web site lists ALL the Freesat receivers here: Freesat and the HD and PVR versions are also listed.

I have taken your advice and bought her a Humax freeview+ box, along with a Sony Bravia KD32EX403, and she is delighted.It took most of my limited brainpower to set it up and learn how to use it, so I could try and instruct my Mum (75) how to navigate the menu. Fortunately the Humax set up seems quite logical. As usual however one thing remains to puzzle me.Using the volume control on the freeview+ remote the maximum volume attainable is o.k, but only just.Before I connected the Humax I had a go with the tv remote and the volume went very loud- why is this? Can I calibrate it on the tv menu?
Many thanks again, I've got a very happy Mum who already has hundreds of hours of soaps scheduled :)

Did you get the old loose aerial fixed?
It would be best to leave the receiver's volume setting at the maximum and control the TV's volume the usual way.

I had the aerial fixed, and it is pointing south east (towards Crystal Palace), so she ought to get the HD channels FreeSat offer.However at the moment I have got the tv and the HD PVR FreeSat box connected with a scart cable, because that was the only way I could get her tv back up and running.When I use the HDMI cable to connect to the tv (I have tried both in sockets) it displays ' no signal detected'. I went in the tv's menu, HDMI set up and control HDMI is ON, auto devices OFF, auto tv is ON.When I go to HDMI device list it won't detect the box. Any ideas?
On the positive front I have sorted out the volume by turning it up with the tv remote, which has enabled a higher volume to be reached using the Humax remote- which is what you were suggesting Logiciel, wasn't it?
Once again, apologies for my inadequacies, and thanks for all the help.

Gads

That's perfectly OK and it's good to hear of your progress.
That was the way I was suggesting with the volume control, as it leaves the TV's control with the TV's remote.
Crystal Palace is currently carrying BBC BBC1 ITV1 and C4 HD channels: Freeview on Crystal Palace.
They should show up regardless of the way the receiver is connected to the TV.
You're writing now about a Freesat receiver but I guess it's still a Freeview as it was when you bought it.;)
In that case you will get advice about it in their own sub-forum, including details of the HDMI connection.
http://www.avforums.com/forums/freeview/

Thanks, I'll try there.No, it hasn't transmogrified into a freesat box :), its just that I've got Freesat on my mind- I'm so jealous of my mum's recording facilities I'm thinking of replacing my sky box (I don't subscribe) with a Humax. I thought this might end up with more spent than I bargained for!

That's OK - feel free to open up the enquiry over on Freeview.
For yourself a Sky receiver without a subscription isn't much use, so Freesat is the way to go, and the PVRs are the best way for you to get it, but there's no point in restrricting yourself to one maker when there's plenty of choice: Digital TV Recorder - HD Recorders - HD PVR - freesat.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom