sKY, VCR & TV problems

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by WEHATEMANU, Aug 25, 2005.

1. WEHATEMANU

WEHATEMANU

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have Sky and it's all working fine but I want to be able to record from Sky to my VCR.The main problem is that I have only got 1 scart connection on my VCR.I can get the video to play tapes and I can tune video in to record everything except Sky.When I tune the video in to Sky it doesn't even pick Sky up. Can anyone please help this idiot out as it's driving me mad. I believe I may need a adaptor to allow 2 scarts into my VCR.

2. SeanT

SeanT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +371
    you can loop RF1 through your VCR to your telly and tune it in that way, or you connect the VCR to "VCR" socket on the sky box and "TV" on the sky box to your tellybox ( :D ) and you will be able to watch tapes when the sky box is in standby (and you will get RGB out of the sky box to your telly :) )

3. WEHATEMANU

WEHATEMANU

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I must apologise for my ignorance but does that mean I will be able to record Sky ? Please can you also explain RF1 is that something to do with red and yellow in sockets ? Told you I was thick :(

4. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    On the back of the box you have an aerial input, and two aerial outputs marked RF1 and RF2. Plug the aerial into the input, then run a cable from RF1 into your TV aerial socket. If your Sky box hasn't been re-tuned, it will appear on your TV on Channel 68.

5. nig28

nig28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    I would have thought you could record sky via your scart lead, (if sky has 2 scart sockets).
    Plug your VCR via scart into SKY
    Then with the other scart socket in SKY plug that into your TV.
    To record SKY sellect AV on your video, and to play a vidoe it should just pass through your skybox.

Nigel

6. WEHATEMANU

WEHATEMANU

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Could the combination of leads and scarts in the wrong places be the problem ?

Do I need the tv aerial from the wall to be in the video,tv or Sky ? Ideally I need to pull all leads and scarts out and start again.

7. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    I don't mean to be rude, but ideally you need to read the replies that I and others have already given you :)

8. SeanT

SeanT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +371
    Can you tell us exactly which cables you have where and in what order, and we'll tell you what to change :)

9. Heinz

Heinz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Good decision. Unplug the lot and start again:

SCARTS

(1) Scart from 'TV' socket on Sky digibox to AV (scart) socket on TV.
    (2) Scart from 'VCR' socket on Sky digibox to scart socket on VCR.
    N.B. Recording from Sky digibox is via scart connection only.
    Playback from VCR is via scart only (it will 'loop through' the digibox and say, "look at me" to the TV by putting a voltage onto one of the pins in the scart).

RF (coax) [terrestrial aerial] leads

(3) Coax from external aerial to VCR aerial IN (female socket). This enables terrestrial recording if required.
    (4) Coax from VCR RF OUT (male socket) to Sky digibox RF IN (female socket).
    (5) Coax from Sky digibox RF1 OUT to TV.

N.B. The RF2 socket on the Sky digibox remains unused but is available should it be required for a bedroom TV (and, because of the route of the coax wiring, it would carry terrestrial, VCR and digibox outputs thereon).

Now it's just a question of sorting out non-clashing RF channels for the UHF outputs from your VCR and digibox ..........

Doing that can be trial and error but avoiding each other, the 5 UHF channels used locally for analogue TV, the 6 used locally for digital TV, channels +/- 1, +/- 5 and +/- 9 from any of those others is always advisable!