1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Notice: AVForums will be offline at 10pm for no longer than 30 minutes for scheduled maintenance. Apologies for any inconvenience this causes.
    Dismiss Notice

Sky+ v3 Digital Output?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by RichardParry, Dec 24, 2004.

1. RichardParry

RichardParry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Evening All,

I purchased a Sky+ package a few months ago and recently upgraded my surround amp to a Sony STR-D930 DTS/5.1 Amp. I have been using it with a Sony DVD player and an XBox via the optical connections no problems and the amp, set on AFD detects the sound mode (Prologic, Dolby Digital or DTS) and works fine, however when I am using the Sky+ system, it only detects the input as 48KHz Stereo. I have checked the inputs, although I am also connecting the RCA analogs, I have the amp set on the optical input (checked this by disconnecting the RCA connectors and verifying there was still audio). I thought this may have been because most programs are not in 5.1, but I found it odd when I purchased a box office movie, marked as DS (in the manual, this is apparently "Dolby Surround", but DD is marked as "Dolby Digital"). I am assuming that DS = prologic, but still my amp doesn't autodetect the input and I have to manually select the sound field. I usually go with Cinema Sound B, but none of the predefined surround effects product a good enough surround effect, especially on the rear speakers, in fact it sounds more stereo, just with the centre speaker in action :(

Any ideas?

Happy xmas !!

2. Pug72

Pug72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    Have you changed the sky settings to output DD 5.1?

3. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    That would only make a difference if the Sky+ box were outputting Dolby 5.1, which in the example, it wasn't. I'm confused how the original poster says that the Sony can distinguish between Prologic and DTS, because there is so little difference between the two. Dolby surround is really only a stereo signal with the surround components recorded out of phase.

If you want to read more about Dolby surround, read this

4. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +626
    You need to tell your amp that when it gets a stereo signal on the input you use for sky to switch to Pro Logic or whatever you want it to do.