1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky+ V2 PQ.

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Miles@9, Nov 10, 2003.

1. Miles@9

Miles@9
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone noticed Sky+ V2 box is making the picture soft / out of focus.

I noticed last night, when watching West Wing the picture was very soft. I'd watched Wife Swap before that and thought the same. It's the first time I had the oppertunity to watch Sky+, DVDs all looking fine so not the plasma. (Not watched TV from Sky+ box since it was installed 5 weeks ago, as my plasma went pop when they were first conected!)

Had a look over on the Digital Spy Forum, and it seems to be a knowen problem. Hopefully it will be a software up grade fix.

Miles.

2. Ronak-T

Ronak-T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does the picture go sharper when you press the "TV" button? If so, I have the same issue. I loop my SKY+ box's output via my DVD player, don't know if that's relevant.

Also, yesterday I was watching a programme that I had recorded off BBC2, and the box froze and re-booted it self. Had to unplug the box, and re-plug it in, this happened 4-5 times, after which my SKY + planner disappeared completelym, so now not only are all the programmes I recorded gone, but I now cannot record anything! SKY can't get an engineer out to me until Thursday :mad:

3. Noodle

Noodle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    If I press the TV button, my TV displays a composite signal (soft), when I press SKY, it switches to RGB. It's never bothered me, but I wonder if you are experiencing something similar.

4. geordie

geordie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have just had sky plus installed. I have a Panasonic plasma screen and use the PC input with John Simms' excellent convertor box taking the RGB output from the digibox. All my concerns about noisy fans and hard drives were immediately put to rest, the drive is silent and the fan so quiet you cannot hear it (the fan in the plasma is far, far louder anyway).

BUT, from switch-on the lip synch problem was wosre than it had been on my year old Grundig digibox, and the sky plus picture is definitely a tad softer, less sharply defined, and in my opinion inferior to the Grundig digibox' output. The s-video output is also a little worse. RGB images can also display a fine white outline which was not apparent on the Grundig. But the main weakness is that the picture seems almost as though it is slightly out of focus. On the upside the digital picture defects of the Grundig like pixellation apparent on the low bitrate channels (and often making football pitches seem artificial in appearance) are less obvious, they have probably set it to be slightly soft-focus to prevent just this from happening? Or is the Pace digital to analogue conversion simply inferior? I definitely preferred the extra sharpness of the Grundig. I don't suppose this is adjustable through any hidden service menu???

On a brighter note the lip synch was far less noticeable from day 2 onwards! I mean it is less in reality, not me getting used to it, and that is without any rebooting. Weird.

5. Ronak-T

Ronak-T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Haven't experienced any lip synch problems at all, but then I have a 29" 4:3 tv! (Sony).

Re : soft picture... My Sky+ box is set to output RGB, when I press the "TV" button, I am assuming the picture reverts to normal PAL, this picture seems a lot sharper, pressing the "SKY" button I assume reverts back to RGB, and the picture is very soft and not well defined at all, although I think the colours look better.

When my SKY+ box was working, it was completely silent, couldn't hear the HD at all, now that it's fuc*ed the HD is making a constant audible noise, like a loud fan.

6. vikingboy

vikingboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It wouldnt surprise me if the boxes were being softened up so Sky could get away with heaping on more and more compression.

7. GarethRamsay

GarethRamsay
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I too have just got Sky Plus, replacing ntl. The picture is most definitely less focussed. This was the first thing I noticed on switching it on.

It looks like a similar effect to that seen when compressing more heavily, or perhaps Sky or the Pace box is running a filter on the signal to 'improve' upon the digital artefacting.

Gareth