Sky+ "v2" installed yesterday

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by StooMonster, Apr 25, 2003.

1. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    Rang Sky+ on Bank Holiday Monday, had it installed three days later on Thursday.

Installation Engineer refered to white Pace Sky+ box as "version 2". I did ask him what was different, and he said nothing except size and colour. :rolleyes: I was a bit sceptical when I read about the white box; but it looks very nice and not too out of place next to my AV kit.

I am very impressed with Sky+ so far; and even my wife is impressed too.

But would the guy run a bit of coax from quad LNB to old digibox's new location (for FTA viewing)? Not even for cash. He said that there's been so much of it going on; that I may have a follow call from Sky+ asking to check the installation for "quality assurance". He asked me not to run a cable myself for the next week, because if they checked they would assume it was him that did it and fire him. That was his story anyway.

Paid £199 (box) + £50 (install) + £10/m (sub).

I'd rather pay £10 sub than pay for movies and sport that I would never watch.

StooMonster

2. PUD the Ancient

PUD the Ancient

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +151
    Can you hear the hard drive humming while it is on like the original sky + boxes or is it silent ?

3. Brigadeer

Brigadeer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got my V2 last Saturday - and the fan seemed to be on all the time until last night. Then the unit felt warm :eek: :rolleyes: hope it hasn't failed !!! :confused: Will check to see if cooler tonight...

4. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    Er... never seen / heard an original Sky+ box in action so I have no idea.

It's off at the moment, waiting to be taken to bits -- before I decide which hard disc to stick in it.

I'll listen for drive hum before it gets a new drive.

Oh, and I bought some low-loss satellite coax to run old digibox as FTA; am I going to wait a week in case installer's QA people turn up? I think not. :devil:

Oh, and already unplugged it from phone line too.

StooMonster

5. DEO

DEO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    StooMonster

Let me know how you get on with a new hard drive, are you just a bit greedy or is 40MB too small for your TV viewing habits?

As this new box is a 33% smaller (allegedly) does that mean putting a bigger disk will cause even more heat problems

Dave

6. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    The only television I regularly watch is Newsnight and 24, my plasma spends most of it's time displaying DVDs; when I'm not doing other things. Got Sky+ so I could watch a wider range of things, like I hear Sopranos and West Wing are good, but not have to worry about videos and all that; I can watch them when I want to.

I can never resist tweaking technology. Got to stick a bigger drive in, er, just because I can. :blush:

I am thinking about buying Maxtor DiamondMax Plus9 120GB 8MB Cache (I can get them for £80 inc VAT) or even 160GB version. These drives use FDB Fluid Bearings throughout which apparently keeps them cooler even though they are spinning at 7200rpm.

My v2 Sky+ is sat on-top of one of a pair of four shelf Target hi-fi racking. It couldn't be more open in the air, so should stay cool; I hope.

StooMonster

7. GETanner

GETanner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    Bear in mind that unless they've changed the internal hardware on the Sky+ V2, the largest drive you can install is a 120Gb. The IDE Interface used in the first Sky+ is limited to drives of 137Gb or less.

Guy

8. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    A killer bit of information. Thanks for that! :smashin:

Now, all I have to do is get my signal strength/quality sorted (another thread) and then it's drive replacement time -- with 120GB model.

StooMonster

9. GETanner

GETanner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    Oh, one more thing.

Have a look at this thread on the Digital Spy Forum. http://forum.digitalspy.co.uk/board/showthread.php?s=&threadid=30514&perpage=25&pagenumber=1

It's a good ten pages BUT the key point is that those who added a 5400 RPM Maxtor drive have had very few if any problems with their upgrade. Those who tried using 7200 RPM or non Maxtor drives have had problems.

My upgrade is the 120Gb Maxtor 4G120J6 (non FDB) drive. Running with no problems. Dabs.com have the FDB 5400 version listed as 4R120L0

You may also find the following useful http://uk.geocities.com/skypluss/

Regards,

Guy